flexible water line to dishwasher

Old 04-03-02, 07:26 AM
trudyw
Visiting Guest
flexible water line to dishwasher

I have a plumber coming in tomorrow to replace my hot water shut off valve under the sink (it's leaking). While he is there, I would like him to redo the line to the dishwasher so I can put my sink cabinet in and finish up my kitchen remodel.
What I'd like him to do is put a flexible line to the dishwasher (for a few reasons. 1- so I can hook up the water to the dishwasher AFTER I install the last of the cabinets and 2- so I only have to cut a hole in the sink base cabinet instead of the one that is between the dishwasher and sink (wall cabinet because it hangs on a post, so the cabinet doesn't go to the floor - and will be used as a book shelf, so having plumbing running through this cabinet is not what I'm looking for... but under that one and through the sink cabinet is what I'm thinking))

So, I'd like to know if I can even do such a thing - flexible water line for the dishwasher?

Old 04-03-02, 08:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Yes, they make flexible water supply connectors just for dishwasher hook-ups. The plumber can even connect two together, if necessary.
Just explain what you need. Same thing for dw drain hoses.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-03-02, 08:16 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Absolutely

Flexible braided stainless-steel dishwasher hoses are standard at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Your new under-sink shutoff valve will have two threaded outlets on it, one for the sink and one for the DW. Have the plumber cap one of them until you are ready to install the DW; at that time you shut off the hot water, remove the cap and screw on the hose.

You'll need to buy a fitting to screw into your new DW to accept the hose. Don't ask me why DW's don't come with them already.

Finally, find out from your city inspector if you need an airgap on the waste connection. If not follow the directions for putting a big loop in the discharge hose. They both prevent your dishwasher from sucking up crud from the garbage disposal.

I couldn't follow your description of the issue with the cabinets, sorry! Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-02, 12:03 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Used the flex line at my inlaw's when I had to hook up a new dishwasher for them. It worked like a charm The old line wasn't long enough without a splice and I could never get it tight enough. Go ahead and install the airgap. The reason is, that if the loop to the garbage disposal gets clogged up for some reason, the water will drain into the sink from the air gap. When I installed the inlaws dishwasher, I found a problem that had plagued them for years (20+). When they ran ther dishwasher, there was always water coming out of the airgap and theirs was installed in the countertop since the sink didn't have the hole for it. Just for grins I pulled it out to clean it up and found that the line from the airgap to the garbage disposal at one time had gottened crimped almost closed. Installed a new one, and no more leak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: