Toilet Restriction at Bottom of Bowl

Old 04-06-02, 08:44 PM
BHackett
Visiting Guest
Toilet Restriction at Bottom of Bowl

After many years of living with restricted flushing in low-profile, low-volume toilet, I have come to realize that I have a severe restriction just beyond the bottom of the bowl, at the entry into the trap system. Although it feels like a mineral buildup, we have had the flushing problem as long as we have had the toilet, and I am not sure that it isn't a defect in the toilet. Before replacing the toilet, I would like to have one last try at clearing the obstruction. An auger has had limited success so far. Are there any other tools or chemicals that can be used? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Old 04-07-02, 01:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

No chemicals. You could damage the wax ring seal.
A toilet has a built-in trap.
If augering it from the bowl side hasn't cleared it, pull the toilet and auger it from underneath, and snake the closet bend.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-07-02, 01:55 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hello, These are a couple of possible reasons for the problem you
are having.
Pour a bucket into the toilet bowl. Does it flush?
If no plunge it or get a bowl auger to clear it.
If it flushes the problem may be a lime build up in the bowl.
Clear all the holes in the toilet bowl under the rim and the jet
in the bottom of the toilet. You can use a wire or small screw driver.
I use muratic acid. I pour the acid into the overflow tube in the tank.
I use about a half gallon.Let it set for about a half hour.
Muratic acid is used in swimming pools to balance the PH.
I get it at Home Depot.
Good Luck Woodbutcher
PS These are generic responses I type up and save. I think the acid may cure your problem. Woodbutcher

Old 04-07-02, 07:37 PM
BHackett
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the suggestions. Although the toilet flushes with minimum load, i.e. urine, the entrance to the trap after the bowl is restricted, causing problems with heavier loads, and it feels like a significant mineral buildup. This after only 7 years, and with no comparable buildup in 12 years in our other toilets... Interestingly, the toilet is cleaned weekly and there is no other sign of mineral buildup elsewhere in the toilet. In any case, after using an auger, I am able to remove some of the buildup, but the entrance is still restricted, and there are some rough edges left behind, which I know will cause future problems. I would like to use acid, but is muratic acid OK to use on the toilet bowl? What concentration would you recommend? I was also tempted to use vinegar, but I am concerned about acid attacking the finish in either case. There is also the concern expressed by "OldGuy" regarding the wax ring being attacked. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-11-02, 12:56 AM
W
Hello, Sorry for bieng late I was on a short vacation in Laughlin Nevada.
I use about a half gallon of acid and let it sit for about an hour. I have never lost a toilet or wax ring. You could use viniger a much milder acid. When all is said and done what have you got to lose , the toilet doesn't work anyway.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 04-24-02, 03:45 PM
BHackett
Visiting Guest
Smile A Big Thank You

Woodbutcher, your recommendation worked like a charm. The chemical reaction to the muratic acid was amazing. The toilet flushed like never before and the opening diameter at the bottom of the toilet bowl increased by at least an inch. I gave it a second application to clear out the rest of the lime buildup. My wife told me to be sure to give you a "Big Thank You."

Old 04-24-02, 08:07 PM
W
Glad to help. Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: