Reattaching shower pipe

Old 04-18-02, 05:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reattaching shower pipe

The shower pipe coming out of the wall (to which the shower head is attached) is loose, and needs to be reattached inside the wall.

I haven't looked at it closely, so I don't know if the "ears" are broken off the elbow or the screws have come out. It's really loose and sticking out a lot, so I don't think the screws just need tightening.

If the screws just fell out, I'll try enlarging the hole just a bit and, with a long screwdriver, install new ones.

If the ears are broken, though, what helpful hints does anyone have, without making too big of a hole?

ps
Mike (Oldguy):

In a thread titled No Water After Changing Faucet, you mentioned using a strap wrench on a fixture.

I have yet to try a strap wrench (from the Sears/Bob Vila commercials) on plumbing fixtures. The small one looks like it should work on the shower pipe. Are they OK?

Old 04-18-02, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Hey, Norm!
Yes, you can use a strap wrench on a shower arm, or a cloth or sponge under a regular pipe wrench.
Both will tighten it in fine without marring the surface finish.
As you know, use 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape, clockwise only as the shower arm threads face you (both ends), to seal it.
If you can enlarge the hole a bit (try to keep it smaller than the shower arm estucheon if you can), you may be able to replace any missing screws in the arms of the shower arm fitting, if that's the problem.
If for some reason you can't, then you'll have to open up the wall to replace it with whatever that entails with your wall.
If it is tile, I would go in from the backside.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-19-02, 09:27 AM
Thanks Mike. I've got my fingers crossed that the ears are still there. I really don't want to cut into that wall.

I'd like to pick up a strap wrench. I always seem to leave a mark or two with a cloth and wrench.

Old 04-19-02, 10:33 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Trick of the trade, hate to tell them but if you want to know best way to remove and install a shower arm without the worries of scratchs and marring the chrome here you go............................................................................

All you have to do is remove the shower head, take one side of the channel locks handle, stick it inside the shower arm that now has the shower head off of it, and start twisting it.

Now that was to easy, no scratches and marring the chrome surface, nice clean and fast job, then reinstall the shower head.

Old 04-20-02, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Hey, Ron!
You know, I thought about your trick later, AFTER I replied to Norm, and was going to come back and add it. You beat me to it.
I've even used your channel-lock handle method myself since you posted it way back when, but it slipped my mind with the strap wrench thing.
Gettin' senile. LOL
Mike

Old 05-09-10, 08:18 PM
F
This is a good idea but it didn't work for me. I tried using my Channellocks today to attach the shower arm. It didn't work as the handles were too small. I think maybe there are many types of what are known as channel locks pliers. What I found worked was to just go through my toolbox and find a plier that did fit inside the shower arm and then allow the necessary leverage to turn the shower arm.

I think it's odd that plumbing manufacturers don't just put a nice looking hex area on the shower arm so you can install it using a crescent wrench without scratching. Or put something inside the pipe so you could use a allen wrench or something. There must be a lot of scratched shower arms in the world.

Old 05-10-10, 03:05 PM
fromhollywood: I've been putting shower arms in that way since the beginning of time, but I use a screw driver, the whole idea is to not overtighten; they don't have to be that tight.

The suggested way is to use a strap wrench, but most people don't realize that you should use rosin with a strap wrench which keeps the strap from slipping and damaging the chrome.

For the manufactors to add a flat on a shower arm for a wrench probably would double the cost, if you are putting in hundreds at a time you woldn't buy them; they do make specialty arms that have flats on them $$$. Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: