Taco recirculator

Old 04-18-02, 05:18 AM
gjtoth
Visiting Guest
Question Taco recirculator

Since it's taking FOREVER for hot water to reach the last faucets in the loop, I've purchased a recirculator. Now, I'm sure this would normally be a simply installation. But, there's one catch: I have a electric tankless water heater. (yeah, yeah -- I know -- I'm gonna be soooo sorry. Well, this is a WHOLE HOUSE TWH and it's great!). I know that a Laing Recirc is installed at the furthest point on the loop. I also know that the Taco (or Grundfos or Armstrong) can be installed at the waterheater. However, with this TWH, would it be installed any differently? If so, how?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-02, 06:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm not a plumbing pro, so I'm not sure myself, but you can email Laing tech support or customer service here:
http://www.lainginc.com/technical.htm
Good luck!
Mike

Old 04-18-02, 09:39 AM
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
I will be interested in hearing how this comes out. It seems to me that you are trying to adapt an on demand system that is not designed to store hot water into a system that does store hot water. I am curious to hear how the tankless systems responds to the small but continuous demand to keep the water in the piples hot. Will the demand even be enough to trigger it? I have no help to offer, but I am curious!

Old 04-18-02, 11:36 AM
gjtoth
Visiting Guest
From what I've been told by the TWH mfg (Seisco), the TWH "goes into 'sleep' mode when it hits a certain temperature". However, my concern was that it would keep the TWH constantly running thereby defeating one of the two purposes I had it installed to begin with. This can easily be overcome with a timer set to peak use times as one would set a programmable thermostat. Either way, I come out a winner (I think )

Old 04-18-02, 01:40 PM
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
I see what you are trying to do. I still must confess to a bit of skepticism. But I haven't tried it, and I am not a plumber, and I have no experience with these systems. I was thinking of how to get around it and was wondering is a small electric THW system in line with the whole house one but near to the cold end might work. It would only have to heat the water in the pipe, til the water from the main system got there, so it shouldn't use much juice.

On the other hand, your plan might work, it really seems to depend on just how the TWH works. I can't convince myself either way!

Good luck!

Old 04-18-02, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interesting concept. I can see where this will work, but the cost for energy (recirc pump) will make the system somewhat cost ineffective.
Great idea about a small demand heater where you need it then let main system pick up slack. I'd look into that and try to factor all costs before putting in a recirc system.
I would be interested in the final outcome of this.

You might also look at Bell and Gossett Series 100 pumps for a recirc pump. I think they are better than Taco, kind like a Ford-Chevy thing.

Old 04-18-02, 04:31 PM
gjtoth
Visiting Guest
The recirc pump is a tiny thing that is only 1/25th of a horsepower and uses very, very little power. The TWH is a whole-house Seisco RA-28. It is my sole source of hot water and it does the job very well. A lot of people are skeptical about TWH's because of the bad start they got a few years back. Believe me, things have changed a lot over the past 10 years or so! I am extremely satisfied with my TWH. Now, I know what you're thinking: "If it's so good, why the recirc pump?". Because the folks (the guys that did the plumbing in this house wouldn't make a pimple on a REAL plumber's butt!) that plumbed this place were morons and instead of zoning a pretty expansive floor plan -- they made a big loop. Even with the conventional gas waterheater we had to wait an eternity for hot water to FINALLY reach the kitchen sink or the master bath. I could live without the recirc pump. But, since I picked it up for 1/5th the cost on eBay, why would I want to? The THW will pay for itself within 3 years in the savings over the conventional gas waterheater... AND I have an endless supply of hot water for those nice, long Hollywood showers or for my whirlpool tub... even after my wife does the laundry and uses the dishwasher! Instant hot water is just a li'l perk that will save water. Even if I have to use a timer, I'm STILL ahead in the energy & water conservation ($$$$) game. Just my take on it.

Old 04-18-02, 06:01 PM
jlbos83
Visiting Guest
I have no problem with the TWH idea. My only question is whether the two systems will really work together. You are essensially trying to use the pipes as a timy little tank (at least that's how it looks from here). Seeing as you don't really have to do any plumbing (of consequence) to try it, why not give it a go? From reading some info on the heater, it seems that it decides whether it need to heat or not based on the difference in temperature a the top and bottom of the unit. When the top is warmer than the bottom, it figures that there is no flow. I am just not sure (and I don't want to use all my brain cells on this ) that it is going to like the loop around it being closed. On the other hand it might work fine.

Let us know, I am really curious!