Toilet: must hold down handle to flush

Old 04-19-02, 11:53 AM
NonFlusher
Visiting Guest
Toilet: must hold down handle to flush

The basic problem with this toilet is that you must always hold down the handle until the toilet has finished flushing, and only then can you release it. Otherwise it will not finish flushing.

I opened the top and it seems as if the problem is that the flapper closes up immediately as soon as the handle is released. I looked inside another toilet and watched while the flapper remains open for awhile until the tank is emptied. But for some reason in this toilet it closes immediately, and won't stay up until the tank empties.

I don't get it.

Why does one stay up and the other close?

Driving me nuts, man.

Any help or advice very much appreciated.

Old 04-19-02, 12:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Shorten the chain until it just allows the flapper to seat fully, and try it.
If that doesn't do it, replace the flapper. They all get old and weak over time.
Adjust the chain the same way on the new flapper, if you have to get one.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-19-02, 02:33 PM
NonFlusher
Visiting Guest
new flapper?

Thanks for your fast answer.

I just tried shortening the chain and that doesn't do anything.

But I don't understand why replacing the flapper would help. What part of it would be worn out?

On a toilet that IS working properly, what keeps the flapper from immediately shutting? Because whatever that is, that's what's failing. I do see it working properly on the good toilet, but it's kind of mystery physics as to why it does--because to me it seems that the suction should pull the flap down shut as soon as the tank starts emptying, which is exactly what it does on the broken toilet.

What is it that keeps a good working flap from immediately plugging that hole?

Old 04-19-02, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

"Mystery physics" to me, too.
All that I know is that when a flapper stops working properly, you replace it...then the problem goes away.
Probably has something to do with the engineered-in elasticity of the rubber, etc., etc., etc.
(I could go on with this BS, but I obviously have no clue, either).
Exchange the good flapper that works for the one that doesn't just to see for yourself...a little experiment that won't cost you anything. The flapper that won't work right in one toilet most very likely won't work in the other. The one that will, will.
Replace the flapper or hold the handle. Your toilet. Your call. End of my flapper expertise. LOL
Good luck!
Mike

Old 04-19-02, 03:26 PM
NonFlusher
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Old 04-25-02, 02:25 PM
mastertwkr
Visiting Guest
NonFlusher,

OldGuy is right, you need to replace the flapper. The flapper works on "bouancy" principles. Some or maybe all flappers have a hollowed out portion under the "bulb" that traps air. The trapped air is what helps to keep the flapper up during the flush until enough water has left the tank and then gravity pulls it back down to seal.

Also, as they age, they tend to close too soon and prevent "complete flushes".

Old 04-25-02, 10:18 PM
NonFlusher
Visiting Guest
thanks again

Yes that sounds like it must be right. Replaced it and it does indeed work now. I was told later that the old flapper never worked even when it first was installed--which made me wonder how that could be. If what you say is true, it means they must've let the air out of the bubbly part first by accident.

Oh well, it works now.

THANKS!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: