switch for well pump

Old 04-25-02, 05:03 PM
krhodes
Visiting Guest
Question switch for well pump

I would like to know how to remove the switch to a submersible well pump to be able to clean it. The well pump brings up extremely hard water and tiny black grains of sediment are collecting in the pump switch. I was wondering if this is something I could do myself? And more specifically how?

Old 04-25-02, 10:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Until Ron (Pumpman) Peeks comes along, visit his excellent website on the subject of wells and pumps at www.peekspump.com for preliminary information.
Mike

Old 04-26-02, 07:45 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch for well pump

Hi,
Removing the pressure switch is usually a fairly easy job. Most important part is paying attention to the wiring.
First, cut all the electricity off to the system by opening the main breaker. Use a meter to check for power at the switch before working on it. Second, be sure to drain the system so that there is no pressure in the lines and tank.
If you have a 2 wire sub. pump, there will be two wires from the power source (breaker)and two going to the pump. If you have a 3 wire sub. pump, the wiring will run from the switch to the control box. In either case, removed the wiring and mark it, if necessary, so it can be reinstalled the same way.
The switch is probably mounted on the tank tee or piping via a short pipe nipple. The switch will unthread by turning it counter clockwise. Remove the nipple from the pipe (or switch) and clean it out with a piece of wire. The bottom of the switch needs to be cleaned out also. Be careful here, as there is a diaphragm there that you don't want to damage. Once you clean it out, reassemble everything back to the way it was.
If the switch seems to be really plugged up, it may be easier to replace it with a new one. They aren't expensive.
Once it's back together, start the pump and let the system pressure up. Open a nearby spigot and let the pressure drop until the pump comes on. You might want to repeat this cycle a couple of times to make sure everything works fine.
Let us know if you have any problems.
A big thanks to Mike, too!
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 05-07-02, 03:58 PM
krhodes
Visiting Guest
Question thanks! but have another question about the pump switch

I appreciate the info I recieved earlier, it seemed just looking at the switch that it could be removed fairly easily. I plan to do so this weekend. But I am unsure what you meant about "draining the system"? Could you explain that part please? And when the system is building pressure back up do the faucets inside need to be running?

I really appreciate your help. krhodes

Old 05-07-02, 05:13 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
switch for well pump

By draining the system I mean to be sure to shut the power to the pump off, and open a nearby spigot to drain the tank. The pressure switch will be mounted to the piping someplace where it can sense the actual pressure in the pipe. If you try to remove the pressure switch without draining the system this pressure will be "in your face".
No, the faucets inside the house do not need to be open.
Best regards,
Ron
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: