Toilet Stopper Problem

Old 05-11-02, 07:03 PM
CeeeCeee
Visiting Guest
Toilet Stopper Problem

I have a new toilet. Two intermittent problems. One: Every now and then the stopper seats itself so fast the toilet doesn't have time to flush. I have to flush it again. Two: Every now and then the stopper must not be "seating" because the handle is loose and I have to wiggle it. I checked the chain. It seems taut enough. Just a little slack. I know there must be a simple fix. However, I have ten thumbs when it comes to knowing what to do! Thanks!

Old 05-12-02, 01:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If the flapper is installed with a ring over the overflow tube, and there are little plastic L-shaped brackets at the base of the tube, cut out the ring and attach the rubber "ears" of the flapper to the brackets.
Flappers seem to work better that way. The chain should be short enough to just allow the flapper to seal fully.

Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-12-02, 12:27 PM
CeeeCeee
Visiting Guest
Now What?

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked. There is no ring around the overflow tube and the "ears" are attached to the brackets on either side of the overflow tube. The chain is just taut enough...not enough slack to get caught on anything or wrapped around anything. This morning (after realizing the stopper is such a high speed widgit) I held the flush handle down for a count of four (allowing the stopper to remain in the up position for about 3 times its typical duration) and this seems to take care of the having-to-flush-twice problem. However, I realize this is not the ideal solution at all. What else would make the stopper return to its "home setting" so very fast? Thanks, again!

Old 05-12-02, 12:48 PM
Cool

It may be the type that traps air to hold it up until the weight of the water closes it, and it just didn't have enough air in it until you held it up.
(THAT is just a wild guess. LOL)
Mike

Old 05-12-02, 09:49 PM
CeeeCeee
Visiting Guest
Solution?

Sounds as reasonable as anything else might be to account for my problem. So, is there a way to test this theory other than by my having to hold the stopper in the up position manually? Is there something I can adjust to get the stopper to stay up long enough before the weight of the water in the tank forces the stopper to close?

Old 05-13-02, 04:22 AM
Cool

Flappers are flappers, but they come in different qualities.
You can't tell when they wear out by just looking at them. They will just slowly stop functioning properly.
Some toilets require a special flapper (some Kohler toilets, for instance.)
There's not much to adjust on them, except the chain and how they're connected to the overflow tube.
If one isn't working properly, although it may be new (or old) and look perfectly fine, replacing it (sometimes with another brand) usually solves the problem.
Also, there should be a water level indentation in the porcelain inside the tank. Make sure that the water stops right on that horizontal line, and just below the top of the overflow tube.
You can adjust the water height by bending the float ball arm up or down if a ball type, or pinching the clip and sliding it up and down on the little rod if a float-cup type.
The water supply tube should be clipped to the top of the overflow tube.
If that flapper keeps closing too soon, replace it with a different brand, if adjusting it doesn't help. That's really about all that you can do.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-13-02, 09:13 PM
CeeeCeee
Visiting Guest
Hmmmmmm!

Thanks for your suggestion! Today I read the most recent issue of Consumer's Reports and lo and behold there was an entire article on how to conserve water. One way is to install a new toilet with a "quick stopper"!!!!! Thanks alot, huh?

Old 05-13-02, 09:34 PM
Cool

Yes, toilet technology for conserving water is changing constantly and the mandatory switch to the 1.6-gallon low-flow toilets vs the older 3-5-gallon tanks, is slowly beginning to do what it was originally intended to do.
I believe that most of the manufacturers have now finally solved most of the lousy clogging and double and triple-flushing problems with the earlier low-flows (water saver? HA!).
Unfortunately, there are a lot of the bad low-flow models out there.
Personally, I haven't installed one of the low-flows, and I don't plan to.
But that's just me.
Call me what you will, but they will have to pry my cold dead fingers off the handle of my old guzzlers.
You should see all of the posts in here about low-flow toilet flushing problems. Not me. LOL
Mike

Old 05-14-02, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
CeeeCeee:

You could try a float. This is a styrofoam cylinder about as big as a silver dollor and about 1" thick. It attaches to the chain just above the flapper. Most of the toilets in my house came with them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: