disconnecting washing machine hose

Old 05-12-02, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
disconnecting washing machine hose

New homeowner here ... One of the hoses is leaking where it is attached to the back of my washing machine. I've attempted to tighten the hose, but that hasn't worked. I've shut off the water to both hoses, however of course there is still water in the short length of hose. I'm wondering what the least messy way to disconnect the hose might be (the washer is in my kitchen, where I've just installed new flooring). Is there way of draining it into the washer before disconnecting them? If I simply turn on my machine, will that drain the hoses sufficiently? I'm also a bit leery of plugging the machine back in since there is a growing pool of water beneath it. Any suggestions appreciated!

Old 05-12-02, 08:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Sure.
You can turn on the washing machine just briefly to let the pump pump the water out of the hose into the washer.
To stop the leaking, all that you need is a standard rubber washer for a water hose.
A caution about washing machine hoses. They usually only last about 5 years, and they recommend automatically changing them. They will cause a major flood if they pop while you're not home.
You can replace them with flex stainless steel hoses that last much longer.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-12-02, 08:40 AM
Thumbs up

Thank you - that worked fine. Also discovered that my shutoffs weren't completely shut off, and that the installer used the hose labelled 'cold' for the hot water. No messes though. I'll look into the flex hose, though this washer is virtually brand new (maybe four uses so far!).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: