Drain cleaner woes

Old 05-19-02, 03:46 AM
jeen.jeen
Visiting Guest
Drain cleaner woes

Good Morning!
Please help clear up a question for me. A woman I work with was told by her landlord that she would have to pay for new bathroom sink plumbing because the granular Red Devil drain cleaner she used on a slow drain had reacted with some liquid plumer drain cleaner the landlord had used and had turned the clog into "cement". The two products were used at least a week apart . I have searched the web for information and the only reaction I have seen mentioned is one of possible harmful vapors being emitted when different products are used together at the same time. I think this landlord is trying to get some plumbing paid for by an unsuspecting tenant. What do you think?
Thanks!
Jeen.jeen

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-02, 06:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

That landlord is blowing a few "harmful vapors".
Caustic drain cleaners can react with one another, but I've never heard of them clogging up a drain, used a week apart or not.
The drain clog may need to be snaked out by the landlord, IF it is in the line and not the trap.
Caustic drain cleaners are for complete blockages. Otherwise, they usually just flow right past the clog.
A better remedy for slow drains is an enzyme-based drain cleaner like Drain Care. It is not caustic.
You run warm water in the drain, pour in the Drain Care and let it sit overnight. It actually eats (dissolves) hair, grease, soap scum, and other organic crud, and then you just flush it out with hot water.
Follow the directions on the jug. Might have to do it more than once, but you'll be amazed at how it can clear up a sluggish drain.
She should try that before paying for "new sink plumbing", which can be taken apart and cleaned out in any case.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-19-02, 07:23 AM
Dr. John
Visiting Guest
Old guy is right! I normally stick-up for the landlord but in this case
he is way off base. In 23 years as a plumber I have never seen an acid clog a drain . However, When I go on a job that has an
acid base cleaner in the line I charge Twice as much because I have to deal with it in a safe manor and dispos of it in a Haz-Mat
sight. This is very costly. Please, Please, Please DO NOT USE
LIQUID PLUMBER ON ANY DRAIN. in ABS pipe all it does is eat the
glue and the pipes become seperated and could create a mess!

Old 05-19-02, 02:41 PM
jeen.jeen
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much, guys!
I had a feeling I was right. I hope this gives my friend enough ammunition to confront her goofy landlord!
JEEN