Visiting Guest
Running gas line through return air chase

Is this proper? Is it a code violation? Is it dangerous?? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-02, 08:31 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Hire A Professional

Hello and Welcome Flash to the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Installing gas line in the manner you are suggesting is not proper, may be a code violation in your locality and could be
dangerous.

Check with your local building and safety department. Also ask the advice of local licensed to install gas pipe plumbers. Some plumbers specialize in this field while others do not. Check the phone directory for plumber listings.

The resident plumbing professionals replying within this forum, could have additional information, suggestions, advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Forum Host & A Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 05-23-02, 05:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
answers...

NO

YES

About as dangerous as you can install as you can quickly fill an entire building with gas and then a big boom occurs instead of the regular sized boom.

Old 05-23-02, 11:25 AM
flash80
Visiting Guest
Gas line in return air chase

Is there an easy solution??

This condition existes in a house I'm am planning to purchase.

I would like to know a ballpark of the costs involved in fixing the problem.

thanks for your help!

Old 05-23-02, 12:21 PM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
I would be more concern that who ever did this took other shortcuts in construction or remolding the house. How old is the house?

Old 05-23-02, 12:44 PM
flash80
Visiting Guest
Shortcuts

the house is new. The builder is very reputable, but sub-contracted the plumming. I had an inspector go throught he entire place, and that was the only major problem.

I guess you never know about the stuff the inspector can't see. I just have to rely on reputation.

Old 05-23-02, 01:29 PM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
if the house is new, I doubt he can get a CO (certificate of occupany) with the gas lines done that way. even if he subbed it out he still should be aware of what his subs are doing. Did you ask the local building inspector about it? is it up to code? Like to hear what he says

Old 05-23-02, 01:35 PM
flash80
Visiting Guest
will let you know

I just found out yesterday. I have a call into the builder. He's been very receptive to my requests so far, but this is the first major problem. I'll let you know what he says.

My home inspector found the problem, but could not cite to the code section. Anyone know what it is in California (Santa Cruz county)

Old 05-25-02, 05:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Uniform Plumbing Code does not address this particular problem. This violation would fall under National Fire Code, I think it's Section 54 (Fuel Gas).
Tell your inspector to look for gas lines in elevator shafts and air vents.

Hope this helps...

Old 05-28-02, 05:27 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
Flash

any follow up????

Old 05-28-02, 07:18 AM
flash80
Visiting Guest
Follow-up

Got a message from the builder on Monday sating that he would take care of it - no problem. He did not explain why it happened in the first place, but I will ask him when I talk to him.

Old 05-28-02, 08:03 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
thanks, love to hear how it works out, most builders use the same subs for all there jobs, wonder if he switched to a new guy on your house and forgot to keep an eye on him