Leak in Walls!...HELP

Old 05-28-02, 08:25 AM
handimann
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Leak in Walls!...HELP

Hello,
I have water that drips down from the garage ceiling. The water drips from framed out duct work. On the other side of the garage wall is the lower 1/2 bath. The ceiling in there is showing signs of leak as well. The ceiling sheetrock is soft and the nails are starting to pop. I've seen the water come out in the garage at a pretty good pace. It looks as if this was repaired at one time since the repair dosent match the rest of the unfinished garage. This is a 25 yr old tri-level house. We've lived in it for 3 years without any problems. There is no pattern to when it leaks. Some weeks it's dry, and other times it will leak for a day or two. The down stairs 1/2 bath also has problems with the toilet. It wont flush half the time. It almost always needs to be plunged, even with a couple pieces of toilet paper. The 2 baths upstairs flush fine but the sinks get backed up with water frequently. I'm wondering if I have a vent thats clogged. I've used a snake and liquid plumber to clean the drains, but I still have the problem. My biggest concern is where the water is leaking. I assume it's coming from the upstairs bathroom and down to the ceiling of the lower 1/2 bath and follows the duct work into the garage. We do not have A/C, only heat. Any ideas on whats going on?
The repair will be huge just to fix the damaged drywall in the 1/2 bath and the garage. I dont know what else has been damaged. Is this something I could get my home owners insurance to pay for?
Thanks for any help on this!

Handimann

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-02, 09:01 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
hard to tell, but is there a shower in the upstairs bath? Is that above the 1/2 bath? you could have tile failure in that shower. most waste line don't leak occasionally, on the other hand failing tile jobs have a habit to intermittent leaking because the wall drys out in between. do you have tile in the shower, how is the grout and wall behind.