Additional Gas Line Install...

Old 05-31-02, 04:58 PM
gordhad
Visiting Guest
Additional Gas Line Install...

Hello,

I have a gas furnace and water heater in my house in one room and my gas dryer in another. I need to run a gas line from the room with the supply line to the laundry. It's not very far, and I have room to go in the seiling along the floor joists without drilling any holes. It seems pretty simple to do. All I think I need is to unplug a "tee" from the existing line, and connect a new line. I feel comfortable doing it, but are there any gotcha's that I should know about? Do I need a permit to do this?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-David

Old 05-31-02, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to check with 2 people before you do anything. You need to contact your insurance agent and ask him if anything happens, from fire/explosion down, that you have not voided anything in your home owner's coverage. The second person is a local code inspector and ask about a permit for gas work.
Chances are fairly high you will not be able to do this work yourself. Gas work is deadly serious and regardless of how you feel about your skills, you will find the people who insure you will want a professional, who will have other insurance, do the work. Many county / city building divisions feel the same way, let a professional plumber / gasfitter do the work.

Now, with that said, you need to know some basic info about your gas system. Most likely, it was sized for the appliances that are in place with gas hook ups available. Additional appliances are usually not just added on as an after thought.
If the 'tee' was on a straight run of pipe with a short nipple and a cap (this setup is hanging downward), it is a drip leg and moisture collects there. You really can't make a hookup there without other provisions.
I won't even go into venting the new appiance now, but this is something you will have to contend with. Vents are sized for the appliances also, except stoves, and you will find out about this also.

Probably not the info you wanted to hear, but you do need to know....

Regardless of how it turns out, have fun with your project and take your time.

Old 05-31-02, 06:02 PM
Meadowraven
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer/Line Installation

Hello David!!!

(...pause) I understand you feel comfortable with this......but I cannot stress enough the importance of safety working with gas.

Gas IS NOT like water pipe lines!!!!!

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS:
I MUST say it would not cost much to have a gas-certified installer do that "tee" for you, with ALL precautions taken care of.
Call a few and you'll find pricing is very fair and competitive.

You should check with your local Bldg.Dept.....every gas installation requires a permit and subsequent inspection, due to the high priority of safety issues involved.

If we can help further, pls write back.

ABOVE ALL: Pleassssssse
Be safe!

Old 06-01-02, 04:43 PM
gordhad
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the info people. I guess it sounds like I might just hire someone to do the install for me.

I appreciate the information you gave me. The "tee" isn't a drip leg as it goes off the side. So that makes me think it was made for future appliances, but then again, I didn't even know what a drip leg was untill you explained it to me.

So, Thanks again. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

-David

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: