shower pan leak

Old 06-01-02, 08:05 AM
Dennis Breckner
Visiting Guest
shower pan leak

I have a fiberglass shower pan 20yrs old hooked to plastic drain pipe and suspect I have a leak. Spoting on the ceiling below indicates a leak. What is the type of seal? Rubber press fit and if that is the case do I cut the old off and press new on. How do I press new seal on without breaking plastic drain pipe. Again I am not sure without cutting into ceiling that this is the problem. How do I determine that this is the problem without cutting ceiling or is that possible.

Thanks very much,

Dennis

Old 06-01-02, 09:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There are three types of shower drains.

1. Built into the pan, this one has a rubber gasket that squeezes against the protruding pipe, this one can be hard to fix.

2. Brass with a rubber gasket, this one can be easy if thats what is there, under the cover plate is a compression nut that tightens the gasket around the protruding pipe.

3. Glue type, this one can't be fixed without opening up the ceiling, this one tighten to the bottom of the pan, and the pipe and trap are glued in at this point.

Find out what you have by removing the top cover, you should beable to tell by looking under this plate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: