no hot water

Old 06-01-02, 10:02 AM
marcm
Visiting Guest
no hot water

I have a water tank in the loft. The boiler is electric and is a gravity system, ie no pumps. The heating appliance gets hot when attempting to heat the water so that does not appear to be the problem. As you have probably guessed by now I have no hot water, the tank does not appear to get warm so I am guessing that either the tank is empty or not full enough for the heating appliance to heat the water or there is a blockage within the system. Any ideas, suggestions on the cause/cure would be appreciated.

Cheers
Marc

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-02, 07:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Is this a regular electric water heater? Are you getting water flow from your hot water faucet that is just not hot?
If so, you probably have to replace the element(s) or
thermostat(s). I always change both elements or tstats, if I have change one of them.
You can do a search in here about "water heaters" for a lot of how-to replys.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-03-02, 09:08 PM
Meadowraven
Visiting Guest
Hello!

I do agree with OldGuy!

To broaden the "help" a lil,
if you have a gas heater, there are thermocouples or thermostats that go bad.

~~~~~~
If electric, elements or thermostats.

I got this lil clip below which explains the "how-comes":

On electric water heaters, they commonly have two heating elements that work in turns.
First the top element heats up the top of the tank, then power goes to the lower element. If the lower element is out, only the top of the tank gets heated. If the top element isn't working, there will be no hot water.

Sometimes the Reset button needs to be pushed or reset. If this doesn't get the element working, use a continuity tester to determine if the element has shorted out. Replacement of the element may be needed, but do both at the same time (preventative maintenance)

*****Get out your owner's manual, and it'll walk you thru it! Any more ?s, just write back.*****