conversion from copper to pvc

Old 06-01-02, 05:23 PM
swhiteshield
Visiting Guest
Question conversion from copper to pvc

All of our plumbing is copper and I would like to convert to the pvc or plastic pipe. Is there a way to make a connection between copper and plastic? Also any suggestions would help.

Old 06-01-02, 05:58 PM
Meadowraven
Visiting Guest
Hello!

What a great idea, changing out the copper! I always suggest to people to get away from copper or galvanized...copper is soft and fragile, galvanized over time will start to rust inside and give way.
(personal preference)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a moderately priced product I use consistently during replumbs: CPVC....which is MUCH better than PVC. The C in CPVC stands for chlorinated.....it is GREAT for cold AND hot water systems. I have NEVER had a problem, with leaks,etc. after the install.

Make sure if you have any type of pipe near cold-winter walls to insulate.

The next choice is going with the PEX system, which has pipe and brass fittings, but considerably more in price V.S. the CPVC.

The CPVC has male and female fittings to tie in from your hot water heater all the way to your kitchen and bathroom stubs, where your supply lines tie in.

If you are going for a total redo/replumb, all the copper would be replaced out and no need for tieing copper to CPVC together, but yes there are fittings to blend the two types of pipe.

Hope this helps, if you need more help, just write back!

Old 06-01-02, 06:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You can convert from copper to plastic if you want, and you can run cold water in PVC, but you have to run hot water in CPVC only. You can run CPVC for both.
Be aware that there are different I.D. sizes between PVC and CPVC. Get what you need (I.D.) that is comparable to copper.
Here is a very good how-to article on converting from copper to CPVC from the Reader's Digest "The Family Handyman" magazine:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/200007/cpvc/main.html
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-01-02, 08:11 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Meadowraven, Meadowraven, Meadowraven,

I deal with copper everyday, there is nothing wrong with useing copper.

Meadowraven, is ok if you prefer Cpvc over copper, but please be nice to us copper users, I install copper over any other type of water pipe.

Cpvc is like string cheese, not to ridgid where as copper will look good, if you like string cheese (not the kind you eat from a store) thats fine, me I prefer to look like a pro in this line of work.

Meadowraven, don't take this the wrong way, but please don't shoot down copper pipe.

Old 06-01-02, 08:19 PM
Meadowraven
Visiting Guest
Still Friends? :)

((((((Ron))))))
((((((Ron))))))

Sooooo sorry! How's those toes? LOL

I don't have to worry about how copper looks when I'm done. I work on mfd-mobile or stick homes, most usually where it is behind a wall, or in a belly!

Have had a ton !!! of copper problems in my applications (fixing others work) and none with my CPVC. Sounds like OldGuy likes it too.

Thanks for understanding my personal preference....

Lemme getcha some ice for those toes (wink)

Old 06-01-02, 08:28 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks the the ice

Were still friends,

I do plenty of work on mfd-mobiles myself, and yes there is a good place for cpvc, where it is a pratical use when you don't have much for hanging pipes from.

I have repiped a couple with cpvc, can't say I like the way it looked but it was the best solution at the time, and I have did a few in copper, it was tough to hang the pipe, got tennis elbow from drilling hole in the I-Beams.

Have a good one, Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: