plumbing noise

Old 06-02-02, 11:37 PM
Blodwenn
Visiting Guest
Unhappy plumbing noise

There is a high pitched noise in the system somewhere I cant seem to be able to track it down to the exact position. Flushing, turning taps on and off nothing seems to change it. It stops by itself for a few moments then back to the noise Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-02, 11:58 PM
Old 06-03-02, 10:25 AM
Blodwenn
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the site tip. Unfortunately Ive already done what they suggest and the noise is same as. Not sure how to check the water pressure, any ideas?

I turned the hot water pipes off aswell maybe I should have drained the tank first?

I notice when I turned off the cold water inlet the noise stopped, any good, any help?

Please this is driving me mad any more suggestions most welcomed.

Old 06-03-02, 03:13 PM
thom17
Visiting Guest
I actually had this just start happening myself. It started when I installed a new hot water heater. I had to add a pressure reducing valve to the system and just after I did that my plumbing system started humming. Any faucet, dishwasher, washing machine etc causes it to hum. I tracked it down by having someone turn on the water and sure enough it was coming from the pressure reducing valve on the water inlet to my house.

Now, how do I get it to stop? Any suggestions are appreciated. I can't believe that the pressure is too high because I installed the valve to reduce the pressure so in theory the pressure is less than when I installed it.

Old 06-03-02, 07:46 PM
Whistling plumbing

"Whistling or squealing in pipes is often caused by a worn out washer in a faucet or valve. A common source of this squealing is in the valves that connect to the washing machine. If you notice the squealing sound comes when the washer is working, you have an easy solution. First, shut off the valve and check the washers in the hose. Replace if they look worn or cracked. If that isn't it, shut off the house water and repair the faucet. One of the faucet's washers is likely worn or the valve seat is worn, causing water to be forced through a smaller opening and setting up the noise.

Another source of squealing, particularly when it seems to resonate through the whole house, can be either the main shut off valve for the house or the water pressure regulator. For the main shut off, turn off the water at the street valve first and then replace or repair the main house valve. If that isn't it and you have a pressure reducer on your incoming cold water line, it may be in the reducer's manifold."
What causes noisy pipes, and what can I do about it? Frequently Asked Questions - Plumbing. ImproveNet. Retrieved 03 June 2002. http://www.improvenet.com/adviceandr.../plumbing.html

Old 06-03-02, 11:43 PM
Blodwenn
Visiting Guest
Wink

Whey hey found the problem last night its the cold water pipe into the Kitchen tap. We need a new washer in the connection between the two pipes, at least we hope that is the problem.

Cheers twelvepeople fab site again.

Old 06-07-02, 01:47 PM
Blodwenn
Visiting Guest
Cool

Whey hey have really found it this time. Each job we have done has stopped the noise for a short length of time then there it goes again howling away like a virgin in a brothel.

Well it was the washing machine the fittings under the sink it was happily dripping away so its sorted. Someone did mention it but I thought it had already been checked. You know what they say ....... you want something doing right....

Well again thanks for all your help and see you at my next crisis.