replumbing kitchen and laundry drains

Old 06-03-02, 03:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry replumbing kitchen and laundry drains

I want to replace the drain pipes for my kitchen sink and washing machine...i currently have a 35 year old house with 1 1/2 inch black iron and galvanized drain pipes...i can access the drain from the washing machine easily by removing a section of paneling...the kitchen sink is not easily accessible due to the kitchen cabinets...

i had one plumber come out to quote me a price on replacing the orangeburg main sewer line, and i asked him about the drains...he said he would use 2 inch schedule 40 pvc drain pipe from the sink and the washing machine...he really felt it needed 2 inch pipe...he would simply cut through the bottom of the kitchen cabinet and run the pipe straight through the floor...he would attach a vent under the kitchen sink...on the washing machine, he would use fernco coupler to attach pvc to the existing vent...

my questions are:

1...is 2 inch pipe the best or is it too big???

2...is the undersink vent work well???

3...is it ok to use 1 1/2 pipe from the drains and attach that to two inch under the house???

4...what do i do with the old vent??? is there a cap or something to keep rain from coming down into the crawlspace through the pipe???

5...what is the best way to attach the pvc to the main trunk under the house??? where should i cut the old 1 1/2 inch pipe off the trunk and attach the new pvc???

if you need any more information...please post back...thanks for your help...

Old 06-03-02, 04:00 PM
one more question

i have concern i didn't mention...

what is the best way to attach the 2 inch pvc to the existing pipe???

i am confused on that...he said he would use the coupler, but wouldn't he have to connect the pvc to the existing black iron pipe that is coming out of the main trunk or would he connect it directly to the main trunk???

my concern is that if he uses 2 inch pipe, cuts off the black iron pipe, and leaves a little bit of the 1 1/2 inch pipe to connect the coupler to, then wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using larger pipe if he connects it to the 1 1/2 inch pipe???

i am confused???

Old 06-03-02, 04:04 PM
Sounds like you are having some fun.

The 2" line is just fine for the wash machine / kitchen line. Make sure it is properly supported so it doesn't have any belly's for kitchen waste to settle in.

Fernco connector is just fine for the connection. I would recommend a banded Fernco (called Mission Clay Coupler around here) as the metal banding provides a little more support.

The undersink vent will work. I am making an assumption it is some brand of air admittance valve (like a Studor Valve , look at WWW.Studor.com ). Before I would install one of these, I would check with a local inspector for code acceptance. Some allow, some don't, you'll have to see.

You could cap the old vent on the roof. Once again, Fernco makes various sized rubber caps that would work great in this application.

If your having the old Orangeburb pipe replaced, I'd look at having the other drains tied into the new line at this time. This may cost a little more, but would be less than having a plumber come out at a later time. He/she is already there doing the work, another hour or 2 wouldn't matter much on the price.

Have fun with your project, ask questions in this thread as there are many people here who will give all the help and support we can....

Old 06-03-02, 04:07 PM
You posted your other question as I was working on my first response. You never go down in drain sizes... Yes, I have seen it done, but it doesn't work real well or very long that way.

I would be very concerned about my plumber if he/she did this...

Old 06-06-02, 07:25 PM
ok...orangburg replaced now what???

ok...plumber man came today and replaced the main sewer line from the house to the main city sewer...it went well...it took forever waiting on the city inspector however...

i did a little question asking again about replacing the kitchen and washing machine drains...if you read the previous posts, it will catch you up on what i am trying to accomplish...

my concern was the 2" sch40 pvc coupled into the 1.5" pipe it has now...i was really curious on how he was going to connect the 2" to the existing 4" cast iron trunk under the crawl space...

i asked him again today how that works...he said all the cast iron had 2" holes...he said he would cut the old 1.5" pipe off and knock it out of the 4" cast iron, then put the 2" pvc into the opening...

my questions are concerning the 2" opening in the cast iron...

1. how exactly is the 1.5" pipe tied into the 4" cast iron???

2. after i remove the old 1.5" pipe from the cast iron, what exactly do i have to knock out???

3. when i am ready to attach the pvc to the cast iron, how exactly do i do that??? do i attach a 2" male fitting to the pvc and screw it into the cast iron??? if so, how do i prevent leaks???

thanks...michael

Old 06-06-02, 07:41 PM
Depending on the cast iron fitting and the 2" answer your plumber gave is not always correct. It may be in your particular plumbing.
Chances are the 1 1/2" line is tied into the 4" line with a tee and there is a 2" bell, using a transition gasket, (or even poured lead), this would be how the connection is made. Cutting out the old 1 1/2" pipe, knocking out the gasket material, will leave you an opening capable of the 2" pipe. You can buy a new rubber gasket for the transition from Cast Iron to whatever material you are installing (Sch 40 PVC, ABS, etc....). This is what you will use to make the water tight connection.

If it is a poured lead joint, take your time in removing it so you do not damage the cast iron. I've burned out the lead using a little oxy-acetelyne <sp> setup and also a hammer and small chisel. Wear safety glasses and be careful.

Have fun with your project...

Old 06-07-02, 12:07 PM
fitting???

notubo said, "Cutting out the old 1 1/2" pipe, knocking out the gasket material, will leave you an opening capable of the 2" pipe. You can buy a new rubber gasket for the transition from Cast Iron to whatever material you are installing"

this is what i need to know...what is this rubber gasket??? what does it look like??? what do i call it when i ask for it??? i have looked at home depot with no luck???

what is the best way to cut out this old black iron pipe???

Old 06-08-02, 11:07 AM
worm_killer
Visiting Guest
is the fitting on the 4" pipe a 4 by 1 1/2 wye? couldnt you cut a foot before and after and just replace that section with pvc( 4 by 2" wye)......as for cutting black iron.....use snap cutters.

worm_killer

Old 06-08-02, 03:36 PM
They are just a transition gasket from cast Iron to whatever plastic you want to put in. The gasket is from 1/2" to 1/4" thick and about 1 1/2" - 2" wide. Some are tapered towards the bottom when going from larger sizes to smaller size. Try a plumbing suppy house like Ferguson, Reeves-Wideman, etc. These are major suppliers in the Midwest, don't know about nation wide.

Black Iron pipe doesn't snap off like cast iron. If you are sure it's black iron and not cast iron, use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade and be sure to wear safety glasses. If it's cast, just snap it with a pnuematic cutter, or a Rigid type cutter with the cutting wheels and you apply pressure by twisting the handle. (you can rent either)

Old 06-08-02, 04:16 PM
worm_killer
Visiting Guest
lol....soory meant cast iron....dunno why i said black iron

worm_killer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: