Well Water shuts off for no reason (mine too)

Old 06-04-02, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well Water shuts off for no reason (mine too)

I saw a post or two on similar situations, but since one had a water softener and I don't maybe my problem is different. I apologize for lack of info on the specs of my system, it's a rental. If it's not expensive I'm gonna pay for the repair myself (do it myself) b/c our landlord is a great guy and works 6 12's every week.

Problem- water shuts off for no reason. During showers, during dishwashing, etc... at all times of the day. It is well water.
It stays off for 10-30 seconds and comes back full force (doesn't really peter out, just abruptly stops)
A friend of mine says its something like a "diversion valve" or something like that going out.

No grit or sand in the water and no "spitting"- doesn't sound like well going dry (had that happen before at other property). Water pressure hasn't changed, still strong as normal until it stops. Problem seems to happen when another water tap is opened (ie, dishwasher running at same time as shower).

Idears?

Old 06-04-02, 09:49 AM
P
Well water shuts off for no reason (mine too)

Hi,
I'm assuming that you have some sort of pressure tank on the system.
It sounds like the pressure tank runs out of water before the pump kicks on. This happens when the is too much precharge pressure in the tank. If there is 25 pounds of air in the tank, say, and the pump is set to start at 20, the pressure will not drop enough to start the pump until all of the water is gone.
Check the pressure in the tank by shutting the power to the pump off, opening a nearby faucet and allowing the tank to drain completelt. Use a pressure gauge to read the precharge pressure in the tank. There should be a Schraeder valve (like a car tire has) on top of the tank.
The correct pressure is 2 psi less than the pump cutin. If the pump starts at 30 psi, the tank needs to have 28 psi of air in it. Add or remove air as necessary.
After you've done this, turn the pump back on and see if the problem still exists.
If it does, let us know and we'll look a little deeper.
Best regards,
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 06-04-02, 09:56 AM
Great info- i'll do just that in a day or so. Will let ya know.

THANKS!
mako

Old 06-19-02, 06:46 AM
Pumpman- I will be checking it soon (too darn busy to do it lately). This really sounds like the problem.

You mentioned a few things I need to ask about.

Pressure gauge- can I use a regular cheap tire gauge, like the ink-pen sized ones with the plastic sliding scale?

Pump pressure- how do I know what the pump starts at? Is there a rating for it, or does it have some sort of pressure valve, or is there a schraeder valve that I can check the pump with?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Mako

Old 06-19-02, 08:00 AM
P
Well water shuts off for no reason

Mako,
Yes, you can use one of those pen sized gauges, as long as it's fairly accurate.
Hopefully, you have a system pressure gauge on the piping somewhere. You can see the pressure that the pump comes on at by opening a nearby faucet and then watching the gauge. Note the pressure on the gauge when the pump starts. Then set the tank precharge 2 psi less than this pressure. The cap on the pressure switch should also tell you what the switch is set for. It should say something like: on - 30 off - 50. If the switch has ever been adjusted, though, this may not be accurate.
If you don't have a system pressure gauge, I would encourage you to install one. A gauge is a great tool in trouble shooting a water system.
Let us know what you find, ok?
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 06-21-02, 12:35 PM
Turned out to be a bad switch. Would not come on until the tank hit 0. My landlord replaced it, and everything worked great this morning.

I was kinda getting used to the stop. I'd get in the shower with a full tank, and it would run out about the time I finished my hair. It gave me plenty of time to soap up. It would come on just in time to rinse. Now that is lazy, too bum to turn off the water manually.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: