backflow vavle??

Old 06-21-02, 01:31 AM
jespo
Visiting Guest
backflow vavle??

i was told to have a backflow valve or something on my water suplly to my garage. what exactly is this? i already have a shutoff vavle before the line enters the building and then i have a hose spicket that ts off of that. what are they talking about??

Old 06-21-02, 05:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's a backflow preventer. Usually these have to installed and tested by a certified backflow tech. Not all plumbers can do this so ask about current certification when you have it installed. You will also recieve a copy of the testing results to mail to your water company.
If you have a water heater attached in any way to this line, after the backflow preventer, you will have to have an expansioin tank installed. The backflow preventer does exactly what is is named, it stops water from going back into the system from where it came.

Any other questions, just ask in this thread and someone will be more than happy to answer it for you...

Old 06-21-02, 01:37 PM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
Different areas of the country have different requirements for Backflow prevention devices. These can be as simple as antisyphon faucets to as complicated as reduced pressure zone devices (expensive). In our area, if one is required, it is the RPZ type (the codes typically go straight to the most stringent - damn the cost as long as they don't have to pay for it) and, if it is required, it must be tested annually - by a certified backflow tester - again, in our area, a licensed plumber with the training. Along with this, drawings, stamped by a licensed engineer are also required.

Be sure you understand exactly what the code requires before you start talking to a plumber.

Old 06-21-02, 01:54 PM
jespo
Visiting Guest
eh thanks alot for the info i appreciate it. damn inspectors its only a garage with a half bath, you think they got bigger projects to hold up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: