water leak outside when hot water is used

Old 06-23-02, 01:03 PM
cooper2
Visiting Guest
water leak outside when hot water is used

When the hot water is on there is water leaking from the pipe outside by the air conditioner. The kitchen floor tile by the sink and dishwasher are also very warm. Do you think this is a drain problem or a cracked pipe under the house?

Old 06-23-02, 02:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My very first thought on the AC was a condensate drain line, but I have a question for you. Is the line outside somehow attached to the water heater?

Leak on tile around sink, use a very good flashlight and take a long look-see while operating everything, plumbing wise, that is attached. It may take 2 people to do this, but I would make sure absolutely everything is tight under the sink before thinking about a drain broken under a slab.
Dishwasher is warm, so is mine. Maybe I should check out why it is. Never really thought about it before.

Anyway, more questions, ask away in this thread. Someone will answer you.

Have fun and good luck.

Old 06-23-02, 04:59 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
First I would have to ask if the water coming out of the pipe is warm or cold? This could be the drain line for the A/C and you just now noticed the water coming out of it. If the water is hot, I would look at the pressure relief valve mounted on the water heater. If this desn't set properly it will drain through a line like what you are describing. If you pull up on the tap at the top of the valve it will open and water should flow freely out of the pipe by the A/C (if they are connected). Release the lever and see if stops flowing, may take a while for all water to stop, depending on the distance traveled.
The floor being warm by the dishwasher and sink area, may be a differant problem or none at all. Is this area always hot, or just when using the hot water (doing dishes or running dishwasher)?
If it is always hot, you may have a leak. If you have a water meter attached to your property you can use it to check for leaks.
Ensure you have ALL water shut off, no toilets running, swamp cooler or sinks dripping. Look at your meter, it will have a small triangle pointer on it. This pointer should stay in one position. If it moves, shut off the valve at the top of you water heater and check again. If the pointer now is steady, you have a leak in your hot water line (probally where the floor is hot).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: