Water heater new construction

Old 07-01-02, 12:50 PM
EDDorsey
Visiting Guest
Water heater new construction

My builder has just done the rough plumbing. The plans I saw say there will be two 50-gal water heaters, one in the garage, one upstairs in a closet. I currently see no plumbing extending to the garage. We also found on the plans where a 75-gal could be substituted for the two 50-gal. Would this mean that they opted to substitute the 75-gal, and that it will be located upstairs? I am concerned about having 75 gallons of water in an UPSTAIRS closet. Should I ask to have the 2 50-gal, and if so, is it a major redo of the rough plumbing? I am in Texas, in case that makes a difference.

ED

Old 07-01-02, 01:01 PM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
ask you builder what he is going to do. why speculate. having the heater on the second floor is not a big deal as long as it has the proper drainiage pans if it goes. as far as two versus one it depends on the effeciency of the units, how many baths, number of occupants etc. Not sure why would spec out having two units so far apart -as I think you noted it is more expensive etc.

Old 07-01-02, 01:11 PM
EDDorsey
Visiting Guest
I am asking, because I am not sure what the "standard" is... Are 2 better than one? It is a 3600 sq.ft. home, 2 baths upstairs, 1 and 1/2 downstairs. (4 bedrooms total.) I think there are two, so it doesn't take as long for hot water to get throughout the house. I don't want to make a fuss if what they've done is OK.

Thanks!

ED

Old 07-01-02, 01:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

The primary advantage of having two water heaters positioned nearer two separated use areas (kitchens, laundry rooms, upstairs/downstairs bathrooms, etc.) is not having to run a lot of cooled water out of the lines until you actually get hot water each time.
A 75-gallon water heater should be more than adequate for the average family, however.
As long as an indoor water heater is set in a heavy-duty plastic waterproof heater pan with a drain pipe tied into the house drain plumbing in case of leaking or relief valve blow-out, it doesn't matter if it is upstairs or downstairs.
The main issue that I see here is that IF you originally contracted for two 50-gallon waters heaters and have not agreed in writing that one 75-gallon water heater can be substituted for the two, then have a discussion with the builder and insist on getting what you contracted for.
You do not have to accept anything less. Until you're satisfied that you're getting what you're paying for, don't pay for it (or allow your lender to pay for it). That usually gets their attention very quickly. Don't allow the builder to short you on the contracted construction and design features. They cannot do that without your written permission.
Good luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 07-01-02 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-01-02, 01:20 PM
EDDorsey
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike,

I will check into it with the builder, because it did say on the plans that it COULD be substituted...

I think that 2 would be better so that if you actually had the clothes-washer going, and the dish-washer going, and someone taking a shower, that it all wouldn't be coming from the same place...

But I have read where 75-gal is more energy efficient and twice as much hot water as a 50-gal. (not sure about that math!)

ED

Old 07-01-02, 01:59 PM
Cool

A 75-gallon water heater will use much less energy than two 50-gallon water heaters, or course.
The typical water heater will provide about 70% of its capacity of water at its set temperature.
So the 75-gallon heater will have about 52+ gallons of hot water available at the beginning of use, and the two 50-gallon heaters will have a total of 70 gallons, and the latter two will provide it faster.
However, if the substitute is allowed in the contract, then it is the builder's call. You should be o.k. with the one 75, and at this point, if you want the two 50s, you're probably going to have to pay extra for the extra heater and plumbing with a written change order. You can find out what it will cost form the builder, and then that will be your call.
Another alternative to discuss with your builder would be to install a hot water recirculating pump (will likely be less expensive).
Check out www.lainginc.com
Good luck!
Mike

Old 07-01-02, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A couple of quick points.

2 water heaters work great if there is considerable distance involved. Say you have a bath or 2 at one end the house and kitchen on other, you will have 2 seperate hot water systems with 1 common cold water system. Recovery time and how much demand from both tanks is a mute point as you are looking at demands for only a kitchen or only 2 baths.

Second point, if you have a water heater thrown in a garage, be sure the builder places it on a platform 15" or so from the floor. It has been a long time since I've done this particular type work, but there is a code issue in this. (I don't want to dig out a code book and look it up, in reality)...

just some thoughts... hey, you have a lot to look forward to and after you move in, you know where to ask the questions for further additions or repairs...

Old 07-01-02, 09:10 PM
W
(1) water heater is more energy efficient than two. If there is a good distance to the furthest fixture then it would make more sense to run a return line that put in an additional heater. There is a good product on the market that hooks up under the sink, eliminating a long return line.

Old 07-02-02, 12:45 AM
Cool

Yep.. one of those, too. winslow is right on.
There is one of those on the Laing site.

Another alternative.
Mike

Old 07-02-02, 05:15 AM
I hadn't thought about that for a residential application. That would be better than storing another 50 gallons of hot water.
Good idea Winslow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: