Removing Old Toilet - Permanently!

Old 07-02-02, 10:24 AM
quincyj68
Visiting Guest
Question Removing Old Toilet - Permanently!

We recently purchased a home which had a full, three piece bathroom in our garage. We decided to remove this so that we can extend the garage, but have had to stop at this point because we were unsure exactly what we need to do.

While we think it's relatively simple, we wanted some professional advice that indeed this is all we need to do.

We will remove the old toilet. Remove the vent line and cut the flange down flush or below the concrete floor. If we do not do this, the flange will stick up in the middle of the floor and be in the way - which means we wasted our time removing walls and concrete bathtubs! Then once we have it flush or lower than the concrete floor, we will put a metal plate over top of it and then pour concrete over it. I realize it will probably take quite a bit of energy but we cannot foresee anything simpler.

Is this the way to do it? Or is there something better? Or is this not allowed? We will NOT put a toilet back there EVER.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Old 07-02-02, 10:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Well, I'm not a pro plumber, but I can pass along what little I know.
A toilet closet bend with a flange on it does not have a trap, so do make sure that you seal it off permanently air-and-water tight, or you could get sewer gas or sewage backup out of it.
If it's ABS black plastic or PVC white plastic, I would glue a plug in it (ABS glue for ABS, PVC primer and glue for PVC), and then put a metal plate and concrete over it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: