Help with a broken Shower knob

Old 07-07-02, 12:00 PM
blackuni
Visiting Guest
Question Help with a broken Shower knob

Hi all...I'm looking for some repair advice. I have a shower problem. We have a knob that turns the water from the bathtub to the shower, except that now it doesn't.

We also seem to have a hot water leak, though the hot water knob is completely turned off.

The shower knob seems to be stripped on the inside, and we've tried to use an adhesive. It didn't work.

Do I need to replace the whole thing?

Old 07-07-02, 11:55 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a rubber washer inside the handle that diverts water from the tub spout to the shower head. My guess is that the washer is worn. If you replace it then it should work.

Are you saying that the handle no longer stays attached to the brass stem that comes out of the wall? There are little grooves in the brass stem called splines. If the splines are worn away then you may have to replace the stem. If the stem/splines seem to be in good shape then you can replace just the handle. If you have to replace the stem you will have to shut off the water to the bathtub to remove it. If you can take the old stem with you to the hardware store for identification.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: