sump pump/ pit

Old 07-08-02, 02:24 PM
skrenze
Visiting Guest
Question sump pump/ pit

is there a standard depth for sump pumps( pit) as mine is 20" deep. i decided to replace my pedestal sump with a flotec sump that has a float attached to it. i was able to trigger the sump to discharge, but it would not or should i say i lost my nerve to fill up the pit more than 6" from the top(as i said i have a 20" deep pit) and the thing still would not trigger on it's own! i finally triggered it and it took over a minute of constant running to empty the pit as all the drains leading into the pump were apparently filled with water! does this sound like a bad pump, or is my pit too deep, or what? also what type of sump should i attempt to install in place of as my pedestal is really old. i saw somwe with a cup float next to it. how are these?

thanks
skrenze

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-02, 02:41 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm no expert on sump pumps, but I have a submerged type pump which will pump when the water reaches a couple of inches above the top of the pump, and will stop when there are 2" of water in the pit. I believe my pit is 20", it's ony of those plastic things you buy at Home Depot, and the pump sits in the bottom. It has one of those "attached" switches, and it will basically turn on when the water will push it a bit over horizontal.

Old 07-08-02, 03:10 PM
skrenze
Visiting Guest
trinitro:
your pump sounds like the one that i was describing and i also purchased this at home depot. you state that yours turns on a couple of inches over the pump, i measured mine at 6" over the pump and no turn on! i really think i have a bad float but am leary about buying the same brand?
thanks
skrenze

Old 07-09-02, 07:09 AM
T
I would really not worry about it that much. The best thing to do is go to home depot and try another pump just like yours, and other brands. You can simply raise the little floating ball and listen for the click. That's when the pump will turn on. They are designed to turn on when the tank is a little over half full, at least that's how mine is.

Old 07-09-02, 07:18 AM
P
Sump pump/pit

Hi,
Flotec makes several different models of sump pumps. Some have tethered float switches, while other have float switches that slide up and down vertically. The pumps with the tethered floats require a minimum sump diameter of 14", and the float will start the pump when the water level reaches approx. 14" deep. The other type requires a minimum of 10" sump diameter, and will start the pump when the water is approx. 8" deep. I'm sure this is why both posters have pumps that work at different levels.
As far as the length of time to empty the sump, that depends on the capacity of the pump. Sump pumps, like any other type of pump, are designed to do a certain job. For instance, a Flotec Model S2400A, 1/3 hp sump pump will deliver 1410 gals/hr at 15 feet of head. At 20 feet of head, it will deliver 0 gals/hr. If you need a pump that will work at 20 feet of head, then you'll need to use the Flotec Model S3200A, which will deliver 1200 gals/hr. at 20 ft/hd.
Skrenze, your pump may be undersized and I'm betting that your's has the tethered float on it.
Hope this helps.
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 07-10-02, 04:45 AM
skrenze
Visiting Guest
ron:
thanks for your info, you're right on the float being tethered and i went with the salesman advice in getting a 1/3 hp instead of 1/2 hp. what concerns me is it normal for the discharge pipes leading into the pit to be underwater as they were before i triggered the other pump to discharge?(i measured depth here at 12" and as you and the insructions state discharge doesn'thappen until 14". should i just go for the model with the cup on the side of it and adjust it myself? also , the bottom of my pit looks like it has a lot of sediment on the bottom. should i be concerned with this or scoop it out and replace with what?

thanks
skrenze

Old 07-10-02, 06:58 AM
P
Sump pump/pit

Hi,
If the pipes leading to the pit are directing water away from the foundation, for instance, I would want the pump to start before the pipes started backing up. On the other hand, you don't want the pump to start and stop rapidly either. Cycling on and off will drastically shorten the life of the pump.
On average, how often does the pump kick on?
As far as the sediment, you just need to make sure the inlet to the pump doesn't get obstructed. If it gets too deep you'll need to clean it out. Sewage and effluent pumps are designed to move solids. Sump pumps, generally, are not designed to do so. If necessary, set the pump on a base, such as a small stepping stone.
Ron
www.peekspump.com