stuck frostfree sillcock

Old 07-17-02, 08:35 PM
Birdlegs
Visiting Guest
stuck frostfree sillcock

I have a frost free sillcock that is stuck, can not turn it on. What can I do to repair it, with out replacing it and the brick wall. If it has frozen and I remove the stem will it leak in the wall or will
I be able to replace the stem and stop the leak.

Old 07-17-02, 09:09 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have found it easiest if you can find the identical brand and size of hosebib then you can simply unscrew the stem and handle assembly and replace it with the guts of the new one. the task at hand, though is finding the perfect match.

Old 07-18-02, 07:54 AM
Birdlegs
Visiting Guest
Thank you. So what you are saying is the sillcock it self is probably ok, all it needs is a new stem and handle assy. That will be better than doning brick and mortar. It will be hard to find the same brand, maybe I can call the factory. It's a Mansville brand.
Can you eplain why te stem is stuck? IT worked fine last year.

Old 07-18-02, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Here is an illustrated article on how to repair a frost-free faucet from Reader's Digest "The Family Handyman" magazine:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/199910..._it/main2.html
Good luck!
Mike

Old 07-18-02, 03:02 PM
Birdlegs
Visiting Guest
Thank you. I would like to know why or how stems get stuck. I have replaced the washer on sillcocks before, but a friend to me that if the stem was stuck that I would have to replace the entire sillcock because the case was probably cracked and when I removed the stem it would leak...forever. can that be true?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: