Finding pipes within walls

Old 07-23-02, 10:52 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Finding pipes within walls

Can anyone tell me how to find out whether or not pipes are within a specific wall without cutting into that wall? Is there something similar to a "stud finder" that lets you "see" where pipes run through the walls? I've got unexplainable water stains developing on my drywall living room wall, about 3 feet off the floor, next to a window. Being that it hasn't rained here in 6 months, I've eliminated leaky window seals as the problem. The only other logical explanation would be a leaky pipe within that wall. But wouldn't that stain more at floor level than three feet up? Any help is always appreciated. Thanks-

Old 07-23-02, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You can have a pipe anywhere in a wall, running horizontally and vertically, depending upon how the plumbing was done.
There is no easy way to determine where they are, except at fixtures (no stud finders anyway, that I know of).
If you have a stain around a window, it could be from just condensation running down into the wall from the window or above, rather than rain.
Does it stay wet or is it just a stain? If it stays wet and is spreading, it is likely a leak. If it's just a stain that seems dry, it is probably condensation.
Either way, it needs to be repaired.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: