Pond restoration

Old 04-07-04, 08:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Pond restoration

We have a small 4' x 6' x 2'd fish pond in our back yard that came w/the house. When we moved in ~3 years ago, an extension cord was running from the garage out to the pond pump.

Because our dog loved chewing the cord - and because I don't want any extension cords outside on anything besides a temporary basis - I unplugged the pump.

Did I mention I was/am a pond novice? Let's just say the four fish in the pond died within weeks.

We would now like to restore the pond (and keep the mosquitos down). I don't want more than 3-4 fish and a couple of potted plants in it.

Here's the question: do aquatic plants exist that can oxygenate enough water to avoid a pump? If so, what are they? If I go this route, what happens in the winter when the plants freeze/die?

In general, what are some good starter plants for a fish pond?

TIA for any advice,
Brad

Old 04-07-04, 02:41 PM
Hi Brad,

Like Va, Ky summers can be quite warm.
These higher temps prevent the water from absorbing much oxygen - fish are gona have a hard time.

Why not run a permanent buried gfci line to the pond. This way you can run a filter, wf, and add oxygen with an aerator, if needed. Most hardy pond plants need to be lowered to the deep part of the pond to avoid being frozen out. Oxygenating plants in your size pond are probably not enough to support the fish.

Skeeters can be controlled with "Mosquito Dunks". Smaller fish will also consume the larvae.

Starter plants: water lily - to shade the water, keep it cooler and and lessen algae.
A couple oxygenators are anacharis, and elodea.
I suggest getting a couple inexpensive books at Lowes/HD.

I'd still go for the perm elec line as mentioned above. (I buried a 100 ft line with water pipe last fall). I put new fish in last week.

good luck,
fred

Old 04-08-04, 12:23 PM
Smile Thanks!

Thanks, Fred. I had considered installing an outdoor receptacle, but was looking for an easier way. I guess there isn't one!

By the way, what are "Mosquito Dunks"? I've never heard of that.

Finally, do you have any recommendations on what types of fish to use?

Thanks again. Have a great weekend.
Brad

Old 04-08-04, 07:00 PM
Brad,

Mosquito dunks look like lil' donuts you toss in the pond or filter. Do a google serach and you'll find all the pond/stuff suppliers sell them. You may find them locally. Many fish will keep the skeeter population at nil.

Fish: mostly gold fish varieties - comets, shubunkins, etc.
I picked up 8 Golden Orfes a couple weeks ago.
You may be a tad too small for Koi, as they get quite large.
Many ponders keep native species - I may try a few when my orfes get larger.

Hey, here's a great site you can learn a world of info from:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/ponds/

fred

Old 04-28-04, 08:33 PM
Californialands
Visiting Guest
skeeters

Its generaly only a good place for skeeters to hatch larve in if a still standing water situation exists. If you have a pump going and fish you probably wont have a skeeter/ westnile virus problem.
Absoloutly make shure you have a gfci outlet!!!! you can run conduit or they make a underground type of romex that dosent require conduit. Check you local codes before proceding, this will save you trouble if you decide to sell your home.
I would say plants arnt enough to oxygenate the pond but they do help with the ammonia levels from fish. Oxygen is emitted from the leaves of plants not the roots. so a small bubbeler or small rock waterfall will do the trick just make shure the water from your pump splashes in the water not just easily pour in. The more disruption on the surface the better for oxigenation. Go buy some fedder golfish at the pet store and have fun!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: