New Pond and Roots

Old 05-10-04, 06:28 AM
bjj
New Pond and Roots

Hi, I am digging for the second pond. It is about 9' x 12' oval shaped and will be 36" deep. I really only had one location available (best location) and have hit several roots from an oak about 10' away. They have been about 1.0-1.5" thick and I have been able to cut them with a shovel flush with the wall. How do I keep the roots from growing and eventually puncturing the liner? I was thinking of putting something around the perimter of the pond before the liner to hold back the roots. I know they will re-generate but was hoping I could get them to grow around the pond wall instead of through the liner. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-04, 02:47 PM
Growing roots probably will not puncture the liner, they will follow the earthen soil. But if the cut off root has a sharp point it could be a problem. The oak root will harden first then eventually rot and new root 'offshoots' will develop.
With lopers, cut the root off below liner level and use carpet or carpet padding for underlayment.

fred

Old 05-11-04, 05:17 AM
bjj
Thanks Fred, that clarified how the roots will grow. That makes sense. The side wall are the ones that really worried me. I will do as you suggested and cut them pack in the wall 4 or 5" inches and repact the soil. I will do that for all the roots and then use an underlayment on the walls and bottom. Thanks.