Pump humming

Old 11-13-04, 03:13 PM
Red face Pump humming

Two months ago, I drained my water fountain (height - 6ft, three bowls) due to our yard landscaping project. Now that our project is finished, we decided to use the fountain again. After cleaning, and filling it with water, I turned it on and all I heard was the pump hummng and no water falling. What happened?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-04, 02:15 PM
Could be that the seals dried out when the pump wasn't being used. Did you store the pump submerged in water while it was off?

Not sure who to turn to for a repair - if there is a name on the pump (or you still have old paperwork), you might try the manufacturer's website if they have one. Could also try where you bought it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help...

Howie

Old 11-14-04, 02:17 PM
One more thought - does the pump need to be primed? If you fill the outlet side with water before turning it on, that might be the problem...

Howie

Old 11-19-04, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Many fountain pumps are driven through a magnetic coupling so there are no seals to worry about which is a good thing. The bad news is that the pump cannot overcome any resistance when it tries to start. When these pumps are left alone for a long time the water inside evaporates and mineral deposites cement the impeller in place.

First unplug the pump. Take the pump (not the motor) end apart. They are very simply so it's pretty hard to screw-up. Inside the pump end there should be an impeller (the part that actually does the pumping). You want to clean it and the chamber where it lives very well. You want to remove and scale or white mineral looking deposits. You can let it all soak in vinegar for many hours, use muratic acid (danger!!!) or just gently srape the deposits off. Put it back together and give it a try. If it still humms, give it a medium strength tap with a hammer or screw driver handle. The vibration/shock can help get it going (just don't go crazy, you don't want to break it).

Old 11-24-04, 02:26 PM
It's now pumping

Thanks for the input folks! After draining the water, I climbed up a step stool and jet sprayed the inside of the top pipe for about two minutes. Then went down to the pump, I sprayed the bottom of the pump for about three minutes. Filled the bottom bowl and crossed my fingers. It worked! There is a filter under the pump and dirt clogged the filter. It somehow dislodged whatever blocked the pump.