neophyte

Old 11-27-04, 07:28 AM
freeneasy3
Visiting Guest
neophyte

I'm new at this and have a few questions. I'm a scavenger of sorts, and prefer to use salvaged materials where I can. My first question is, will a used swimming pool liner work as a pond liner? I have access to used carpet and carpet pad and will most likely use that for my underlayment. Being an avid trout fisherman, I'd like to construct a small stream with a few pools and waterfalls that empty into one large basin. Any suggestions anyone has regarding materials they've scavenged or salvaged and used to construct their water garden would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-04, 07:38 AM
freeneasy3, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I am NO expert on this subject but I really don't think a pool liner would work for what you want. It may be fine at first however I don't think the thickness would work. As you know, pool liners give out after a while and for your project I don't think you want to be searching for a leak a year or so down the road. Just a thought but keep checking this post for advice from the DIY experts here. Good luck.

Old 11-27-04, 10:29 AM
freeneasy3
Visiting Guest
I guess what I'm talking about are commercially installed liners for in-the-ground pools (I have a friend who does this). Sometimes he has liner material left that is new and would be the same as one that is warrantied for 20 years.
Would there be a difference in the thickness? I would think a pool liner would get much more wear and be more suscepitble to leaks , therefore more durable. Less affected by sun, too, since most pools are not very well shaded. Just wondering.

Old 11-28-04, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
I think the pool liner and old carpeting would work great. The pool liner is probably white or light blue which is not very natural looking (for a trout stream), but it would make the water bright and clean looking. I've found old carpeting that has been left outside for years and it does not break down much so it should provide some long lasting protection against punctures. I'm curious to hear what you have planned for the pumps.

Old 12-01-04, 01:59 PM
freeneasy3,

Carpet and carpet padding are great for under a pond liner.

Standard pond liner is 45 mil epdm rubber. Rubber roofing is also the same 45 mil epdm, with talcum added for non sticking. Many successful ponders have used either.

The pool liner may work for awhile, but as mentioned, leaks will develop.

gl,
fred

Old 12-08-04, 05:16 AM
freeneasy3
Visiting Guest
I guess what I don't understand is why a pool liner would eventually leak. I know I'm a skeptic about this. It just seems unlikely to me since pool liners are designed for people to walk on, can take direct sunlight in big doses (so there's little chance of breakdown there), and are designed to last for 10+ years.I would think that one would work perfectly. What stress is there on one from a pond/stream that makes it more susceptible to leaks? I'm talking commercial liners for in-ground pools, not your Wal-Mart variety $200 back yard free-standing pool.

Old 12-08-04, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
freeneasy3, go ahead and use the pool liner. What do you have to loose. Then, you can write back in 10 or 20 years and tell us if it has leaked or not.

Old 12-08-04, 06:05 PM
I think a pool liner would work fine. Throw in some carpet under it to avoid those sharp edged rocks, pool liners donít like sharp edges.

Old 01-15-05, 05:36 AM
freeneasy3
Visiting Guest
So, I talked to my pool installer friend. He says ixnay on the pool liner idea. Unlike membranes, pool liners get brittle. He also says the lighter color of pool liners helps to inhibit bacterial and algae growth, which makes them less than deisrable for plant growth. I guess the liner is one place I can't skimp right now, but I'm still out there looking. I like the idea of a roof membrane. It may be that is what I'll end up doing.