water control using trees

Old 04-12-05, 06:03 AM
SKSuser
Visiting Guest
water control using trees

Hello, I have a boggy area that is caused by pond overflow on my property. It is in an area that I want tall trees to hide from the neighbors. I was wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone, and plant some tall water loving trees in the bog and hopefully they'd soak up my mosquito hatchery, grow fast and tall and become good covor. What very tall trees love sitting in water and soak up a large ammount of it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 07:06 AM
msw
Visiting Guest
Weepeing Willow trees are great for that purpose. They do grow wild roots over time so don't put them too close to your house.

Old 04-13-05, 09:25 AM
SKSuser
Visiting Guest
OK, I've got some weeping willows at other places around my property. I really like them. The area I want to dry up is about 5' wide and runs all down a fence row for about 45 feet or so and the water stands a couple inches deep for a long time after a rain.
How closely should I plant the willows to one another, and how close do they need to be to get the job done? It's about 500' from the closest building, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, is there something else I could throw in for variety?

Old 04-13-05, 10:38 PM
Alder is another species that seems to do well in boggy areas. There are also a variety of shade and bog plants available that can add color to your landscape. There are also boggy loving grasses available like rushes and sedges. A mini-wetland could be a focal point in your landscape and a microenvironment species for wildlife that visits the pond.

http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/...&articleID=102

Old 04-15-05, 02:23 PM
SKSuser
Visiting Guest
Wow, the place is swarming with mosquitos. I'm hoping that the bog area is a main cause of this problem. I want to dry it up, not make it pretty.

Old 04-16-05, 12:27 AM
You can spray the boggy area with larvacide spray to prevent eggs from hatching into larvae.

Old 04-16-05, 07:04 AM
SKSuser
Visiting Guest
Cool... and thats safe for stuff like frogs and whatever tadpoles eat? I don't want to kill them off... Yes, I'm picky.