couple of questions on a new pond installation

Old 06-29-05, 01:29 PM
couple of questions on a new pond installation

putting in a new pond. acutally, two ponds connected by a short 'stream' and have a few questions:

1. In the upper pond, the dirt is mostly loosely packed backfill. I've used some retaining wall blocks to help keep the sides of the pond from subsiding. These blocks are pretty rough -- will a standard under layment material hold up or do I need to anything special to protect the pond liner?

2. I've leveled top circumference of the ponds. How much do I lower the section of the upper pond where the stream flows out of? Left to my own, I'd say a couple of inches less than the rest of the pond but didn't know if this was correct. I have a 2000 gph pump I'm installing, if that matters.

3. Getting ready to bring power to the pumps. I believe I can get direct bury wiring for 110V....does anyone know the code requirements for bringing power to the outlets? Size wire, GFCI requirements, etc....

4. Finally: At the top of the upper pond, I plan on having a 3 or 4 foot high waterfall. Is the process for building the waterfall simply a matter of stacking the rocks (I will probably use slate rocks) until you get the desired height and look? I didn't know if you use dirt to build a mound then bring in rocks/slate to cover the dirt. Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 05:16 PM
terriann68
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by CougGuy
putting in a new pond. acutally, two ponds connected by a short 'stream' and have a few questions:

1. In the upper pond, the dirt is mostly loosely packed backfill. I've used some retaining wall blocks to help keep the sides of the pond from subsiding. These blocks are pretty rough -- will a standard under layment material hold up or do I need to anything special to protect the pond liner?

2. I've leveled top circumference of the ponds. How much do I lower the section of the upper pond where the stream flows out of? Left to my own, I'd say a couple of inches less than the rest of the pond but didn't know if this was correct. I have a 2000 gph pump I'm installing, if that matters.

3. Getting ready to bring power to the pumps. I believe I can get direct bury wiring for 110V....does anyone know the code requirements for bringing power to the outlets? Size wire, GFCI requirements, etc....

4. Finally: At the top of the upper pond, I plan on having a 3 or 4 foot high waterfall. Is the process for building the waterfall simply a matter of stacking the rocks (I will probably use slate rocks) until you get the desired height and look? I didn't know if you use dirt to build a mound then bring in rocks/slate to cover the dirt. Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi There, we have the exact same pond and your ideas are right on target. The waterfall is simply a matter of building the height that you desire, just remember that the higher you make it the louder the sound will be. I used landscape stone the size of a brick and on top of that I put a large stepping stone that has rocks and pebbles permanently embedded in it. Mine is 3 layers high-brick, stone, brick stone, etc. I have a soothing sounding waterfall. To the back of the waterfall I have rocks stacked so that you cant see the hose or the back of the stepping stones. I also put some small polished rocks on the stepping stones for an added effect. When you get it all done you may want to buy some barley hay as it helps to keep the water cleaner. It comes in a bag with a string and you just hook it under one of the stones that go around the edge of your pond. The barley hay is not to touch the bottom of the pond.

Old 07-10-05, 10:30 PM
How’s the project going? I too have questions on the electrical aspects…I posted in the electrical section where those experts could address that….

You don’t need to buy expensive under layment material. Old carpeting or several layers of newspaper works well. Try putting 1-2 inches of sand down first and then laying down the carpet. Make sure the form fits very snug. I agree with terriann re: the bricks/rocks. This time of year there are a lot of fairs and exhibits around most all counties. There are usually a few on pond construction with a few beautiful exhibits to view (and study) all else try calling local nurseries to see if they have any ponds with falls. There are so many different ways to do it that seeing different styles and coming up with your own is probably the best approach. Keep in mind that ‘dirt’ erodes.

As far as the pitch goes, a couple inches seems a little drastic in my view, make sure that the pre-form isn’t already angled for you…Good luck