container water garden help needed

Old 08-05-05, 06:17 PM
Karenoke
Visiting Guest
Question container water garden help needed

Hi All, I am needing to seal the inside of a very large clay pot that I'm using for my water garden so that it does not seep. Can you recommed a product that is non-toxic to fish & plants? (Hopefully something I can purchase at Lowe's or Home Depot.) ALSO - There is a drain hole in the bottom that I need to plug up, but a recommended plumbers putty did not work. What else can I use to plug it up? Thank you for any advise you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-05, 04:15 PM
Hi Karenoke,

There aren't too many options for sealing an aquarium, or fish inhabiting environment. What you are looking for is a two part epoxy for potable drinking water. To make your search easier, the one that I use with great success is West Systems 2-part epoxy. (this is not an ad!) I have made several rock/cave backgrounds for my aquariums and this is the only seal suited for fish aquariums in my area. You can go to a marine store and ask what they use as well, a lot of them use fiberglass which can be a pain to deal with. But call the manufacturer and ask if they stand behind there product with fish involved. I get mine at Hardware Sales, but there is an online website (http://www.westsystem.com/) that will list for you all there dealers.

As for the whole, you will need to find something to fill it with before sealing that. A bulkhead? and then putty? Make sure to use the epoxy over that fix as well, it is very strong stuff and will hold it inplace. Just a filler for a large whole won't be sufficient. Good luck.....