Algae and frog problem

Old 08-17-05, 07:43 PM
Algae and frog problem

We just bought a new house on 5 acres. We are learning a lot but have so much to go! We have a pond for the first time ever. It is about .6 of an acre and nobody knows how deep but we think it is approx 12-18 feet but not sure. Anyway, it is overgrown with algae. Also I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say there are hundreds and hundreds of frogs. There are about 15 big frogs. When you walk around the sides of the ponds you will see all the frogs jumping. There are maybe 1-3 about every inch or so. Just a guess but I'm probably not far off. It is incredible. How do we thin down the population and not kill the fish and stuff in the pond? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-05, 10:15 PM
algae-no problem. Just go to your local cenex and ask for pond dye. it usually comes in a powder form in green or blue. use a row boat and head out in your dingy clothes and dump it in in various places. You can also invest in water lilies for the shallower areas and plant some water-loving large crown trees for shade-willow is a good one. The only way to stop the algal growth is to decrease the amount of sun, either artifically (dye) or naturally (plants). Oh yeah- is the pond planted? Fish I mean? If so you can plant more under water plants in the deeper parts. A planted ecosystem will compete with algae for nitrate, and if you have enough plants the algae will lose.

frogs-problem. You can ask the local boys in your neighborhood to come and play 'hunter' until they are gone , or look into local predators. Snakes are probably the best. They take care of frogs, rodents, etc. that you don't want around there. I know what you are thinking...SNAKES! Yes. You need a safe predator and they are them. You are probably having a bad frog year. My grandfather has a good 2 acre pond that approx. 3 years ago had the same problem. You couldn't walk within 5 feet of the shore there were so many babies! The snakes took care of them.

Good luck

Old 08-24-05, 11:28 AM
I have a 1 acre pond and the best thing I did to reduce the algae was to put an aerator in. I bought a Vertex bubble type aerator, not cheap thou. Last summer I added it and it's made a big difference. It doesn't run durring the winter. I also add blue coloring but by itself I doubt it will solve your problem. There are chemicals you can add for quicker results. Copper sulfate is used alot, but if you put too much in at a time it will depleat the oxygen and fish will die.
I solved my frog problem with a BB gun. Don't really know of a better way. But eventually, if you reduce the algae the fish might solve the frog problem since the frogs don't have anywhere to hide.

Old 08-24-05, 03:34 PM
THanks guys.

Thanks those are great suggestions. We have 4 hawks that seems to be helping thin out the frogs but there are just too many. Also we are going to use the copper sulfate but a little leery about not knowing what we are doing and not wanting to kill our fish. We have some blue gill and a few very large carps (we think we can't really seem them too well).
We then are going to put aqua blue to help keep the algea down and then an some sort of aeration system.
Thanks again.

Old 08-27-05, 09:53 AM
Snakes? Willow?

I have a problem with willows. Once in the pond, any branch or root will start another. Big problem.
I have great luck with "auqa shade" for veg. control (not willow) and it gives a nice blue tint to the water. Also you can get grass carp who will keep veg. in check.
Introduce Large Mouth Bass. They keep your frogs in check and you need to control the Bluegill also. I understaned that a pair of bluegill will produce from 20 to 200 thousand offsprings per year.
Check with your local County or State Govt. In Ohio they provide a pond management book at no charge.

Old 09-23-05, 08:19 PM
Frogs are invaluable.

Ponds imply stagnant water, and almost everywhere on earth stagnant water implies mosquitoes. Lots and lots of mosquitoes.

While you have a ton of frogs, you will have next to no mosquitoes, or for that matter any other insects. Frogs are fantastic in controlling flying insects and I actually enjoy looking at them.

Frogs pose no health risk, while an unchecked mosquito population does. I understand you want to simply control the population, not exterminate it, but if the frogs aren't bothering you it's probably best to leave them alone. I find it highly unlikely you would prefer snakes to frogs.