Invaded by a Stork

Old 12-26-05, 06:35 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Invaded by a Stork

Look out the back window today and seen my ponds worse enemy, a stork. He was standing a few feet from the pond, so I ran out side but I was to late .

He eat all of my Big Goldfish and poked a big hole in the belly of the bull frog. I am so mad, but what can I do, thats life. Hopefully he is gone for good, he was hanging around but after he seen my dogs and a couple wild cats he took flight.

Old 12-26-05, 04:58 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The stork will continue to return until all your fish and frogs are gone. Cover the pond with netting.

Old 12-27-05, 07:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I don't know if it works for storks, but herons are very territorial. A decoy at your pond tells them that your pond is already "taken". You have to move the decoy regularly otherwise the bird will figure it out.

Old 01-03-06, 04:05 PM
rb71
Visiting Guest

I can't believe it. I came home today and found out that a heron/stork ate almost all of the fish in the pond. When I went inside, he came back looking for more. He had a long neck and was quite large. I had just removed the netting a week ago since the leaves have all fallen. I guess he spotted the pond with all the leaves down. Is a decoy an effective way to keep this bird at bay?

Old 01-04-06, 05:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I have only seen Great Blue Heron decoys so I'm not sure if there are ones for other species. The decoy does work, but you MUST move it regularly.

Around my pond I notice the heron flies by a couple times a day. With no decoy he lands and starts looking for food. With the decoy he starts to glide down into the pond but when he spots the decoy he climbs out and does not land. I have noticed the heron fly over a couple times a day, so he is keeping an eye on things. I try to move the decoy at least once a week and try to do it every day.

If you look for a decoy online check out hunting supply sites. They seem to sell the decoys cheaper than the fish/pond hobby websites.

Old 01-06-06, 11:44 PM
brightly
Visiting Guest
Herrons

I dont know if this is really working but I have a large stainless steel
gazing ball at the edge of my pond. My theory is that the movement
reflected in the gazing ball might keep the herrons scared away. We
live near a lot of water (lake/river) and herrons fly over all the time and
so far..knock on wood...none have stopped to eat my fish. Ive heard
that they are shy birds and this led to the gazing ball thing. We have
been here 4 years now and see "them" in the natural pond about 200 feet
below my garden but so far they dont bother my fish. Probably now my
luck wil run out!

Old 01-24-06, 11:20 AM
G
At our garden centre pond we use fishing line, place around the perimeter of the pond then zig zag across, you dont need that much, once they touch it deters, netting also works too.

Old 01-31-06, 03:05 AM
L
gmc idead of fishing line works for me...it is better then the netting cause you can still see in the pond,the line is basically invisible,and like gmc said once the bird hits it bye bye not to be seen again...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: