Water Curtain Design/Physics

Old 03-27-06, 01:05 AM
Water Curtain Design/Physics

Hi,

I hope there are some water dynamic/physics gurus, or someone who has done this before. I've searched for quite a bit and can't seem to find the info I am looking for, so I am going to see if my project is even feasible and if I am on the right track (see my cheesy illustration).

I have a wall the seperartes the family and living room (standard frame/drywall construction) with a window in it. By window I merely mean there is a rectangular cutout in the wall so you can see into the living room from the family room and vice versa. It starts above 2 feet from the ceiling and ends about 3 - 4 feet from the ground. The appox dimensions are 5 foot wide and 3 and 1/2 feet wide.

My goal is to inlay a resivoir at the top of the window, stretching most of the width of the window and inlay a catch resivoir at the bottom. Obviously since the useable width in between the wall allows me only 6 inches or so to play with, I need to produce an almost 90 degree free fall, in a curtain (glass like) effect of water. Not only do I like the effect it should help prevent errant drops from going outside the target catch area (i estimate about 4 inches).

I assume I will need to build the top resivoir unless for some crazy reason a product exists in the dimensions I need.

My problem is before I start experimenting on a smaller scale (I was going to use sheet stainless and a brake and weld it up) I want to see if my theory is correct. Also to see if anyone knows of someone in AZ who designs such things to save me the trial and error in the hardware and then I can focus on the install.

My thought is to produce a sheet you need enough horizontal momentum to get it off the lip. But I can't have it going forward, I need a near linear drop. So if I have an equal flow of water coming from two mirrored lips, it will counteract the force of one another when the combine to keep the falling water centerline (or close to it).

Here is a link of an elementary illustration to help visualize what I am trying to do.
water_curtain.gif

Thanks for your feedback!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-06, 02:18 AM
Water Sheet

hi, I haven't built one personally, but I have seen one in Yellowknife N.W.T in an office building. The principal idea is the same, only their fall was over 15 - 20 ft.

From the top center there was a series of fine clear tubing or heavy nylon fishing line attached then stretched to a bottom anchor in the catch basin. these were fairly close together to stop the funnel effect that pouring water can do. it was very neat. Just an idea and inexpensive.

let us know.

Old 04-21-06, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
You are fighting an uphill (and almost impossible) battle. Water has a tendancy to form droplets as it falls any distance. Watch a waterfall, spray your garden hose or pee off the roof. As water falls it accelerates as it is pulled by gravity, so the water at the bottom of your contraption is falling faster than the water at the top. Your sheet of water will be thick and smooth at the top but as it falls it will get thinner and thinner until the wind resistance and surface tension of the water breaks your nice smooth sheet of water into a series of drops that don't look as pretty and will make a mess on the floor. Making the column of falling water thicker (pump more water) helps since there is more water available to be "stretched out" as it falls but it only works to a point. Hiding vertical lines (monofilament, cables...) gives something for the water to follow as it falls and helps keep it under control a bit longer. The resistance of the water on the lines helps slow it down which minimizes the stretching effect.

Basically water falling any distance is going to splatter and make a mess so I don't think you are going to catch it all in only 4" width.

Old 02-11-07, 07:44 PM
4 inches is very narrow but it I think you might have the best luck using an existing nozzle designed for uniform water falling. Try these guys. http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00100000011013.htm?CS_010=11013&CS_001=1013946&CS_002=1015160

Old 11-10-10, 09:57 PM
better late than never i guess...

I run a church owned hall (weddings and other functions of the like) and I came across a water wall named tsunami water wall (or something similar) and it sparked my interest almost immediately. Being a church I know that the hefty price tag of $6000+ was not even a possibility so I began searching DIY'ers ideas and found something at xxx Not sure if anyone has tried their design but it is only $25 for the plans. Any reviews from you all as far as these plans and if they work well for indoor applications? Thanks!

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 11-11-10 at 03:20 AM. Reason: removed link