Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Ponds, Fountains and Water Gardens
Reload this Page >

Considering reflecting pool, is full sun a problem?

Old 05-08-06, 10:34 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The site is oriented facing southwest and gets full sun from approx 10AM to 5PM. Waht issues can I expect to overcome with a 6-8" deep long and rectangular reflecting pool? Located in Los angeles, it will get to be HOT during the day, and cool considerably at night. I'm just hoping to avoid massive algae buildup and evaporation issues. Site is elevated and easily drains away from any structure in the event of leaks. I was planning on one or more solar pumps to keep a current flowing and filer it a bit.

Is this going to be a maintenance nightmare?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-06, 10:46 AM
S
Full sun

In full sun with out chemicals you will have a algea blumes ...

Are you planning on plants and fish in the "reflecting pool" ? There are other options. What kid of use are you planning ?

Old 05-08-06, 02:59 PM
H
no fish. Just for looks, perhaps some floweing water plants.
what are my options?

Old 05-09-06, 08:33 AM
S
Direct sun

Well if you are going for just a accent to the area and not have anything living in it, you can use chemicals i.e. chlorine and anti-algae additives.

If you want plants you will need to avoid chlorine and be very careful about the anti-algae additives used since it will kill some plants or at min. stunt there growth.

A good nursery that has water plants should be able to help with directing you to the right mix of plants and anti-algae stuff.

If all else fails you will have to give it a good scrub every couple of weeks. Or for go the plants and nuke it with chlorine ...