kidsafe small pond?

Old 05-24-06, 09:40 PM
kidsafe small pond?

We are moving into a home this weekend that has a small pond in the back (4 feet by 2 feet) that we would love to keep. However, we have 2 children under the age of 4 and won't be able to keep it unless we can figure out a way to make it 'kidsafe'

The ideas I have thought of are to fill it up with rocks all the way to the top (although I may have to then take all of the rocks out to clean it?)
The other idea is to see if I could have someone make something like a custom window well cover that we could put over the top of it?

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-06, 04:15 PM
Just a thought, idea...if you fenced off the area or part of it so your kids can't get through would that work? Look tacky? Something not permanent so when they get older you can remove the fence...?

Old 05-27-06, 07:50 AM
I think you are on the right track with the cover. I know that there are heavy mesh (sun can still get through) pool covers commercially available. They are specifically made to prevent children from falling in. I do not know why something similar would not work on your pond. Similar covers are also used on ponds to keep out birds and racoons (protect the fish). Check with your local pool store or with a garden store that specializes in water gardens.

Old 05-27-06, 02:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
2X4? If so, you could probably get a chain link gate that would fit and just lay it over the pond. A few "U" shape tie dwns drin into the ground would keep them from lifting it.