Water Garden/Koi Pond

Old 03-19-07, 02:49 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Garden/Koi Pond

Over the last month, my fiance and I have worked diligently during the evenings and weekends to build a backyard water garden and sanctuary. I was stricken with a severe illness last summer, and I'm now going into remission. I've had two surgeries and my medical leave is ending soon. We considered going on an elaborate vacation to celebrate, but we decided to invest in and create a 'healing' environment right here in our back yard to enjoy year round, instead.

We have finally arrived at the point of the finishing touches. We put in a gorgeous gazebo, furniture, 2 fountains, an outdoor fireplace, and a water garden, inclusive of a 3 tiered waterfall with a pond. The pond is made of Fiberglass. We put the waterfall/pond on a dormant and raised plant bed. It's surrounded with Large Mexican pebbles, Japanese Maples, maidenhead ferns, various aralias, and other plants that don't mind a water environment. It's flourishing. We agreed that it was like adding a 200 sq. foot room to the house!

As a finishing touch, I wanted to put Koi in the pond. Yesterday, I went to a Koi 'dealer' and bought 2 "Small" Koi. Each one is approximately 5 inches in length. We treated the water as directed and 'floated' them for about an hour to keep from temperature shock. We turned off the waterfall for the night, as we read somewhere that it's best not to run the pump for more than 8 hours at a time. This morning I noticed that the fish are in the very back of the pond, under the rock ledge/waterfall, where it's darkest. They appear to be lying very still at the bottom of the pond, and I'm concerned that turning off the waterfall created a hazard for them.

I suspect that it's best to keep the water pump running continuously. However, will that ruin the pump or wear it out too quickly? As an alternative, should we add a filtration system to the pond, which could run independently of the water pump? I was also wondering if by adding another source of water flow, would we create interference with the function of the built in water pump? My fiancÚ has done such a phenomenal job of configuring the electrical connections and such, that I am certain that he could add another connection for this purpose, if it's necessary. Is there a solution anyone would recommend? Thank you!

Last edited by terrylynne2007; 03-19-07 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-19-07, 06:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Why are the Koi lethargic in the corner:

The everything's OK answer;
The Koi are probably scared and are trying to hide. They were snared by a net, trapped in a plastic prison by pink/brown skinned monsters a thousand times their size and then they were dumped into a totally alien pond. Give them some time to relax and they will quickly learn who brings the food.

The "my fish are dying" answer;
If the koi start gulping air or hover near the water's surface they are probably starved for oxygen. If they are lethargic & sluggish test the water. The waste from the fish produces amonia which is poisonous to them. The water could be polluted and they may be suffering. Pet stores, the place that sold you the koi & Wally World all sell water test kits.
-----
Koi are not good fish for small ponds. They tend to grow too large and require proper conditions (good water filtration) and can be suseptable to disease (especially if they are the very pretty inbred varieties). Goldfish would be a better choice for a small pond with no filtration. They do not grow as large and are more tolerant of poor water quality.
-----
So to finally answer your questions:
Yes, you can let your waterfall run 24/7.
Send your fiance out to get a filtration system NOW.
Start reading up on how to keep Koi.

Old 03-20-07, 12:37 PM
S
You are correct Sir ~

OK big pink scarey monster ? Too funny !!! I totally agree, I threw goldfish in my small pond instead of Koi only because of the growth\size. Koi can\will get enormous for a small pond and it will be very sad if they are "hiding under the rock because they are too big to turn around ...lol

Water filtration system good

Waterfall good

scared fish bad !

Good luck!

Old 03-22-07, 08:50 AM
T
Unhappy Why Cats are my least favorite animals.....

Well, if you thought that was funny.....I did send the man to get a filtration system and we also ran the water fall 24/7. The pond isn't that small, and the Koi were very small and fit nicely into the pond. The growth factor had me concerned. They seemed happy and swimming around, while I was gardening. Then I went out to check on them yesterday morning and the neighbor's cat was enjoying "Koi Benedict". Apparently they were scared for other reasons.

Our dog charged the cat and the neighbor yelled at me, because my dog scared her cat....It's a fat ugly cat and it smells, and makes some horrid noise, not unlike something out of a horror film....not too far from its owner!
I don't like the cat or its owner AT ALL. Never did. Never will.

With regret, my head hangs low. They were brave little fish. ******* Cat!

So, I asked the "man" if he could MacGuyver a screen of some sort around the perimeter of the pond, and he said that he could and would do so this weekend. So I shall go to Home Depot and get some fine screen and the other widgets he wrote down for me, and I will downgrade to 2 little goldfish, and start again from there.

Thanks for the chuckle....

Old 03-22-07, 10:10 PM
S
bad kitty !!!

first off ROFLMAO !!!

Yet another preditor strikes again ! Also watch out for birds. They like yummy fish... they actually sell netting that you can put over the pond. As always you get what you pay for so look carefully at the product.

hint: A good one should 'blend" in with the pond ....

They also have motion sensing sprinkler like things, cats and birds do not like getting hosed down in the middle of hunting yummy Koi ....

Another note, fish will get caught if they have no place to hide, a place 'unreachable' by preditors. I actually have a rock shelf and a secret rock hideout for them in the bottom of the pond ....

PS good luck and cats taste like chicken !!

Old 03-24-07, 06:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
When koi are smaller it is easy for them to double in size in one season so keep in mind how big they will eventually get. If you have a good filtration system you can keep more in a smaller pond or if you have fewer fish in a big pond you can get by with less filtration. I've got about six that are now over 24" long so they can get quite large.

My pond is very large so the fish have plenty of room to get away from land preditors but birds are a big problem. Two years ago I was on my pond in the boat and behind me I heard a whooshing sound and a splash. I turned around just in time to see a hawk flying away with one of my best fish. I have no idea how many fish the Blue Heron has gotten. He is down at the pond every day getting his breakfast, lunch & dinner.

I have heard some people mention that their koi are more "friendly" when they have lots of good hiding spots. They are less nervous because they know they have a place to hide nearby. Koi tend to loose their color if they are baked in the sun so some nice overhangs for them to get out of the sun are a good idea.

Old 03-28-07, 03:03 PM
P
Terry, I don't think any one answered your question, but they may have. A pump must remain on 24/7. You need oxygen and water agitation to facilitate gas removal. Furthermore, your pond should be at least 24 inches deep especially in the center. What type of plants do you have in the pond? Concerning the cat issue? If the rocks around the edges are lose to where they will shift if the cat walks on them they will stay away because they do ot want to fall in. Herons and raccoons are another story. You need to have a shelter for the fish to hide in. Perhaps a few rocks raised off the floor and one placed on top and between them to create a ledge.

Old 04-19-08, 01:58 AM
M
Originally Posted by terrylynne2007 View Post
Over the last month, my fiance and I have worked diligently during the evenings and weekends to build a backyard water garden and sanctuary. I was stricken with a severe illness last summer, and I'm now going into remission. I've had two surgeries and my medical leave is ending soon. We considered going on an elaborate vacation to celebrate, but we decided to invest in and create a 'healing' environment right here in our back yard to enjoy year round, instead.

We have finally arrived at the point of the finishing touches. We put in a gorgeous gazebo, furniture, 2 fountains, an outdoor fireplace, and a water garden, inclusive of a 3 tiered waterfall with a pond. The pond is made of Fiberglass. We put the waterfall/pond on a dormant and raised plant bed. It's surrounded with Large Mexican pebbles, Japanese Maples, maidenhead ferns, various aralias, and other plants that don't mind a water environment. It's flourishing. We agreed that it was like adding a 200 sq. foot room to the house!

As a finishing touch, I wanted to put Koi in the pond. Yesterday, I went to a Koi 'dealer' and bought 2 "Small" Koi. Each one is approximately 5 inches in length. We treated the water as directed and 'floated' them for about an hour to keep from temperature shock. We turned off the waterfall for the night, as we read somewhere that it's best not to run the pump for more than 8 hours at a time. This morning I noticed that the fish are in the very back of the pond, under the rock ledge/waterfall, where it's darkest. They appear to be lying very still at the bottom of the pond, and I'm concerned that turning off the waterfall created a hazard for them.

I suspect that it's best to keep the water pump running continuously. However, will that ruin the pump or wear it out too quickly? As an alternative, should we add a filtration system to the pond, which could run independently of the water pump? I was also wondering if by adding another source of water flow, would we create interference with the function of the built in water pump? My fiancÚ has done such a phenomenal job of configuring the electrical connections and such, that I am certain that he could add another connection for this purpose, if it's necessary. Is there a solution anyone would recommend? Thank you!
test the salt level weekly. 3-4% is ideal. A test kit is easy to use, provided that you have an accurate ideal of your ponds total gallons.

Last edited by motorfly; 04-19-08 at 02:00 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-19-08, 02:07 AM
M
heron relief

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
When koi are smaller it is easy for them to double in size in one season so keep in mind how big they will eventually get. If you have a good filtration system you can keep more in a smaller pond or if you have fewer fish in a big pond you can get by with less filtration. I've got about six that are now over 24" long so they can get quite large.

My pond is very large so the fish have plenty of room to get away from land preditors but birds are a big problem. Two years ago I was on my pond in the boat and behind me I heard a whooshing sound and a splash. I turned around just in time to see a hawk flying away with one of my best fish. I have no idea how many fish the Blue Heron has gotten. He is down at the pond every day getting his breakfast, lunch & dinner.

I have heard some people mention that their koi are more "friendly" when they have lots of good hiding spots. They are less nervous because they know they have a place to hide nearby. Koi tend to loose their color if they are baked in the sun so some nice overhangs for them to get out of the sun are a good idea.
shoot the heron. if another shows up then your lost. Seems evil, but koi are valuable, and that damn heron is attacking your investment. i know the heron is only doing what nature dictates, but if you dont take care of it, your going to have to get used to it, or buy much larger and expensive koi. my wife chased one away in september, and sofar not another has been seen. Also keep your pond stocked with a few common comet type pond goldfish. They may provide an alternative to a $40 koi.

Old 04-19-08, 02:10 AM
M
predator vs. koi

Originally Posted by spearharper View Post
first off ROFLMAO !!!

Yet another preditor strikes again ! Also watch out for birds. They like yummy fish... they actually sell netting that you can put over the pond. As always you get what you pay for so look carefully at the product.

hint: A good one should 'blend" in with the pond ....

They also have motion sensing sprinkler like things, cats and birds do not like getting hosed down in the middle of hunting yummy Koi ....

Another note, fish will get caught if they have no place to hide, a place 'unreachable' by preditors. I actually have a rock shelf and a secret rock hideout for them in the bottom of the pond ....

PS good luck and cats taste like chicken !!
its all in the design. deep with steep sides. that keeps all critters out, even herons. herons with stand in plant ledges, so when starting a desighn, go with no ledges, just floating plants.

Old 04-23-08, 12:55 PM
G
Run the pump 24/7. I've had my pump running every day for 2years. Even during -15F weather, and it keeps on pumping.

Your pond may be "big" enough now, but it doesn't sound very deep if the neighbor cat got your fish so quickly. I re-dug my pond and its about 30" at the deepest, 24 in the "shallow" end. Plus as another poster stated, I used flagstone that is a bit "wobbly" to keep the 4 legged pests away.

As far a shooting a heron, one word for that "stupid". Most are protected. And unless you desire a turn in the judicial system, look for other methods.

Old 05-02-08, 07:37 PM
Net the heron with a large net and explosive projectiles. To make sure the net goes over the dang predator.
Okay, now tag it like you've seen on tv. Only use large lead tags. Release in nearest deep lake. No shots fired!!!!

fred
(but I'd probably use N0 6 Turkey shot)

Old 05-02-08, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by motorfly View Post
its all in the design. deep with steep sides. that keeps all critters out, even herons. herons with stand in plant ledges, so when starting a desighn, go with no ledges, just floating plants.
Ledges down to 15 to 20 inches are fine, as long as the pond has a deeper depth for fish to hide in. This ledge/depth is good for Thalia, pickerel rush and lillies.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: