Sludge Remover

Old 03-24-07, 11:25 AM
Sludge Remover

Any suggestions for a "fast acting" sludge remover for my 6,000 gal pond? Fall bacteria did its job but there is still quite a bit of organic "slop" on the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-07, 03:41 PM
There are sludge products available. See http://www.westernpond.com/microbelift_sludge_away.htm

There are also pond vacuums available. See
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=14808

Old 04-17-07, 07:58 PM
build a vac:
Here's alink to Claude's Pond vac;
http://www.jandbk.org/pond_vacuum/

fred

Old 04-21-07, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
I am not a believer in bacterial sludge removers. I think they can help in a new pond where the bacteria have not had time to naturally develope. In an existing pond I think that aeration is the better course. Keeping the water oxygenated at all depths will greatly speed up the natural digestion process (and warmer water temps also speeds things up).

Since your pond is a manageable size, mechanically cleaning out the sludge will be the quickest and most effective way. If you have a lot of sludge you may quicly clogg a vacuum. In that case, just get in there with a shovel. If it is too far to walk to shore with every scoop get a large bucket (a farm muck bucket or wash tub). Just float the bucket next to you and shovel into it. Just make sure to take the bucket to shore and empty it before it gets too heavy to handle or sinks.

Shoveling or vacuuming the bottom will cloud the water. Coudy water will not hurt koi or goldfish if you keep the water oxygenated. The water should clear within a couple days.

Old 05-02-07, 11:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Aeration

Aeration is definately the best and most efficient solution. However, with proper aeration, bacterial products can be quite effective at reducing your organic sludge throughout the life of your pond. In fact, we have seen results of up to one inch per week of sludge removal with aeration and bacteria. The idea is to provide oxygen to these bacteria by way of aeration. If you do not have adequate oxygen levels at the bottom of your pond, the bacteria will not thrive and therefore will not be as effective at reducing your sludge. We us a product called Bacta-Pur Sludge Busters with great success.

Last edited by twelvepole; 08-08-07 at 02:36 PM. Reason: E-mail address removed.