submerged pump not submerged

Old 04-23-07, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
submerged pump not submerged

The short story:
Can a submersible fountain/pond pump be used in open air (not submerged)? It is a MD200 from Lowes (generic made in China magnetic drive centrifugal pond/fountain pump).

---

The long story:
I've got a cast iron claw foot tub that I've turned into a goldfish pond. My wife is adament that it look like a normal tub that happens to have fish in it which means no visible pump or filters.

I've got the tub refinished and I am using the original 1928 drain plumbing & faucet coupled to the MD200 fountain pump underneath the tub so nothing except the antique plumbing is visible. Water magically keeps coming out the faucet making a nice little waterfall. After all that work I finally thought... "I wonder how long the pump will last if it's not under water to keep it cool?"

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-07, 05:59 PM
why not conceal a 5 gallon bucket for the water to drain into and submerge the pump in that.

Old 04-25-07, 02:18 PM
all pumps rated for submersible use are made with that intention. Some pumps will last longer than others but they will not last their full life expectancy. They get hot and have no way to cool. All non submersible pumps are air cooled with a built in fan. If you use out of water it will burn up eventually.

Their are aquarium submer. pumps which can be used out of water.

Old 04-25-07, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
I think I'll try the "see how long it lasts" method.

Old 04-25-07, 06:53 PM
I would agree with primereef. It will burn out, most likely sooner than later with no water to help keep it cool and lube it. Why not buy a external pond pump and hook one end to the drain and the other to the faucet? Neat idea by the way!

Old 04-28-07, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
I have not been able to find a small, continuous duty pump that does not require protection from the elements. The pump is up underneath the tub so it is somewhat protected but when we get a hard rain it may be sitting in an inch or two of water. Not a good situation for a motor with vent holes and an exposed rotor.

Old 04-28-07, 08:42 PM
Pilot, go to this web site and look at their pumps. wdminc.com. These pumps are not submersible and make great out of pond pumps. If you will have 2 inches of water which will cover the pump it can be elevated with proper plumbing. Its too bad we can not see pictures. If this is advertising please forgive me.

Old 05-07-07, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
My wife wanted a claw foot tub goldfish pond with the water pouring out of the spout just like a tub. I built it and guess what... She says it sounds too much like "a tub filling with water". She wants it to sound more like a fountain.

Who would have thought that water flowing from the faucet into a tub would sound like a tub??? Anybody want to give me $2 for a very picky woman?

Old 05-08-07, 10:07 AM
Talking 2 Bucks ....?

ROFL! Are we married to the same woman ?

Old 05-09-07, 08:17 AM
I've already got one at home but I think I can make do with another to keep my garage clean. Maybe I can train her to do oil changes too

Old 05-09-07, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
She can pull some weeds, but she has a nasty habit of just tossing them out on the lawn. Oh, and she stops pulling weeds once the mercury hits 85. She can cook though... Do I hear $2.25?

Old 05-25-07, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
The pump is still working after a month. I am getting worried about the water temperature. The tub is out in the open so it gets the full sun during the day and it is totally above ground so there is not moderating effect from the earth. Already the water is in the low 80's by the end of the day. The goldfish are doing fine, but I may have to come up with a plan "B" before the real heat of summer hits.