Water Pond Kills birds?

Old 05-29-07, 05:14 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Pond Kills birds?

I just installed a small pond with a new Home Depot filter. I found a few brown birds dead in the water this morning. Than later on in the day one more about to die before pulling him out with a net. I am not sure why because this is water from the house and I am not sure if something in the filter in killing them? Any help?

Old 05-29-07, 05:40 AM
T
You might want to report dead birds to local Wildlife Control. Dead birds could be due to West Nile Virus.

Old 05-29-07, 05:57 AM
G
Until you find out what it is you might make sure no pets can get near the pond. I'm not sure who you can call to check on what it is but I would start with Home Depot since they sold it to you.

Old 05-29-07, 09:24 AM
G
Any chance your electrical is leaking? Water + Cheap Electrical pump= potential electricution hazard.

Old 05-30-07, 12:05 AM
P
On that last one, did it die? Brown birds? Do you know the species? Sparrow maybe. Is the filter the only thing that has changed or is it a new pond altogether? Has someone been spraying in the neighborhood? Or it could be bad food from someones feeder elsewhere. It is very strange that birds would die in your pond alone or die in yours only after bathing in yours.

Keep an eye on the birds as they come and go. Also get a probe to test if electrical current is in the water. the sub pump could be as a previous post said.

Old 05-30-07, 02:13 PM
T
Until you find out what the problem is, cover the pond to prevent more fatalities. Keep us posted.

Old 05-31-07, 06:11 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Most birds can't swim, is it possible there is no where for them to stand and they are falling into the pond and drowning?

Bird baths work because the water is shallow enough the bird can stand up in them.

Old 05-31-07, 06:27 AM
T
Good point. Young birds can easily fall in and drown. Without a place to stand and the deeper and steeper the pond, birds can fall in and drown.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: