Most reliable pump?

Old 02-06-08, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most reliable pump?

This is not really a pond or watergarden question, but is a general question about pond pumps.
I've been looking at pond pumps to use as a water circulator to prevent water from freezing around my small wooden dock.
Earlier this year I bought a standard 1/3 hp Utility pump or sump pump that was rated at around 2300 gph. from the local hardware store. I think it was a Simmer. I hung it from a rope about 3 or 4 feet below the water surface under my dock and put it on a timer for 6 hours on/6 hours off. It worked perfectly at keeping the water from freezing around the dock until it broke down. I don't think those utility pumps are meant for such continuous opperation.

I've been looking at pond pumps to use, and since they are meant for more continuous operation like this. I just need to "push" warmer water from 3 or 4 feet below the surface up to the surface to prevent freezing.
Has anyone ever heard of someone using a pond pump for this purpose?

I've been looking at one particular pump "Pondmaster Skimmer/Waterfall pump 3000 gph". It says it is designed for continuous operation and is rated for more gph than the pump that I had previously used.

What do you think about my idea? and my choice of pumps?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-08, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
we used bubblers,,,

to keep ice from forming around the boat,,, if you just HAVE to use a pump, try zoeller.

Old 02-28-08, 10:44 AM
Best Pumps

If you haven't already gotten your pump and you want one Aquascapes pumps are great low amp draw and longest warranty 2 yrs.

Old 02-28-08, 01:51 PM
I've already purchased a pump.
I went with the Pondmaster Pro Hy-Drive Pump - 4000 gph

http://www.pondmasterstore.com/home/...rive_4000.html

We shall see how it works, I liked it because it is oil-less. and Mag drive, yet still rated for high head hights.