Building half acre pond; want a lot of fish

Old 04-01-08, 04:07 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building half acre pond; want a lot of fish

So I figure I will need aerator. Also, it will have to drain because we have a lot of rain, I want to drain it from the bottom of the pond. I have heard that is the best place to drain a pond because it is the dead water, for lack of a better
knowledge of ponds. Anyone? I have also seen people adding fertilizer or chemicals into corners of their pond, I am curious about that as well. I have not really browsed this section of the forum, just throwing it out there. Thanks, saxet

Old 04-01-08, 07:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Are you building the pond for aquaculture? What do you mean by "a lot of fish"? What type of fish do you want?

Check with your local extension office. They probably have a booklet on pond construction & maintenance that will answer your questions.
---
Aerators and very helpful if trying to reclaim an old pond and if you are fish farming, but are not needed for most ponds. If you stock your pond to the point you need an aerator it will need it 24/7/365. If the aerator quits working you may only have a couple hours before you have dead fish. Many fish farms keep spare aerators & generators & pumps on hand to keep the fish alive.

Draining the water from the bottom of your pond can be good. It only works when you are draining water from your pond so unless your pond is fed by a creek that runs much of the year a bottom drain will not do much for you. Bottom drains have to be constructed properly to keep them from clogging and still may eventually be covered by silt building up on the bottom of your pond.

Just like your lawn you can fertilize a pond. In a pond you have a mini eco-system and food chain. Microscopic plants at the bottom of the food chain up to predatory fish at the top. The more food, the more life (fish) in your pond. I would NOT fertilize until you lear quite a bit. Most ponds do not need fertilizing and it can lead to dead or deoxygenated water, and blooms of unwanted plants (algae, duckweed, watermeal...). You can also add other chemicals to adjust the water's PH.

Old 04-02-08, 05:43 PM
S
Thanks, yeah I do not want a fish farm, but close to it. I still want to try and drain from the bottom. I probably do not need so many fish that I would need an aerator. I do have access to water. Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-02-08, 06:20 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your local Cooperative Extension Agent or Soil & Water Conservationist can provide you with a wealth of info on recommended pond building and maintenance procedures as well as helping with stocking.

Old 04-05-08, 12:02 PM
F
I sat back for a minute and thought about what it might cost you to build a pond of a half-acre. Then I got curious, so I googled "pond construction cost" and found a great resource, you will have to find your own because I am not allowed to post a link on this site.

Anyway, the source I found said it costs about $2 per cubic yard to dig up soil. Since those were in 1999 prices, I imagine its closer to $2.50 a yard now. With a half-acre pond averaging, say, 8 feet deep and built on flat ground, you are looking at investing about $ 16,000 just to dig the rough hole in the ground, then you have to seal it at who-knows-what cost! ( 21,780 sq ft x $ ?.00 = $ ????)

I don't know about anyone else, but if I am investing 16k or more, I doubt I am going to trust a bunch of strangers on a forum. If I were going to spend $160, I'd be all ears here.

But at least it was a good recommendation to call the government, because as they always say "we're here to help you" .... now why did I just get chills?

By the way, I like the idea of the bottom drain... and with about five seconds of thought it was easy to figure out how to install it without it draining your pond when there is no inflow of water.

Old 04-05-08, 07:59 PM
G
He may own some equipment, therefore he could do it a lot cheaper. Also, around here depending on what type of dirt you have, there are plenty of contractors that will dig the pond and remove the dirt for free...that is if your dirt will make good fill material.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: