Indoor Fish Pond, Humidity Question

Old 07-07-08, 04:47 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indoor Fish Pond, Humidity Question

With an indoor fish pond, Does anyone know if you have to have a exhaust fan or dehuimidifier or both ??

Or, Is it not really an issuse?

Wandering about mold growth and any other issues with the humidity!!!
Also, should you use blu-board drywall (moisture resistent)
for rooms walls?
Really Curious!!!

Old 07-08-08, 08:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
It all depends: How large a pond? Will you have a waterfall or air bubbler (both of which greatly increase evaporation)? How big is the house or room where the pond will be located? How is the buildings HVAC sized and will it run continuously?

The temperature, humidity, water and air movement will greatly affect evaporation. Generally I figure that 1/2 inch of water can evaporate in a day. For a 4' x 4' pond (surface area) you might loose/evaporate 5 gallons a day.

If is is a small pond in a hotel lobby where the HVAC runs 24/7 then it is not much of a problem. If you want to put a large pond with a waterfall inside the average living room then you have to deal with the moisture (extra AC capacity, dehumidifier). Moisture resistant wall board will not hurt but that is only one area of concern. Tou need to keep the moisture down for everything else in the house. The humidity will rot/mildew & destroy electronics, furniture, carpeting... You also need to keep all that water vapor from condensing inside your insulation during the winter (very good vapor barrier). I would not use an exhaust fan since you will be pumping all your heat and AC outside. Don't forget the effect the pond will have on your power bill. You will be paying to operate the filtration pump/aerator and you will be paying to extract the evaporated water from the air.

Old 07-08-08, 09:17 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contacting You ??

Pilot Dane, can i call you and explain what i want to do? Or i will try my best here!!

Lets move this to personal e-mail for number exchange, If that`s ok with you. rhughes61@hotmail.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: