Anyone drained a pond?

Old 10-15-08, 06:04 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking Anyone drained a pond?

my husband and I are looking at buying a home on 12 acres of land. It is a foreclosure and has not been occupied for a bit. On that property is a pond that is old, was poorly planned, and is causing the neighbors to contact our county's Soil and Water Conservation office because essentially the pond drains right onto their property. They're upset as is expected. If we bought this property we would be responsible for this pond, and our first instinct is to drain it and fill it in. Has anyone had any issues like this? How did you go about draining the pond? You have all the info we do on how it's fed, etc. Thanks!

Old 10-16-08, 08:36 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
You do not say how large or deep the pond is but they all get drained the same. Size only matters when the filling comes into play.
If the pond has a side or sides that are above level ground you would dig a slot in this wall to allow the water to flow out of the pond. This slot needs to go to the bottom of the pond.
Imagine a bowl sitting on a table. To drain the bowl you cut a slot in the side from top to bottom to completely drain it.
Now if the bowl is recessed in the table where the top of the bowl and the table are flush then you have to dig a trench into the table as well as the bowl to drain it. Same thing if the pond is level with the ground. Or with either kind of pond you can always pump it out. If you pump it out you will have to fill it in before the next rain or it will refill at least partially.
The pond has been there for some time, why now is the neighbor causing you trouble? Maybe because he could not get anything done about it before? Find an excavation company and ask for an estimate on this, it could be very expensive as there may be county laws that regulate what can be used for filling the pond. Another thing would be can you direct the runoff from the draining away from the troublesome neighbor?
I know you love the property but if the neighbor is trouble before you buy what about after you build a house? Nothing worse than a nosey, troublesome, neighbor!

Old 04-04-09, 07:30 PM
B
is there no other option to run a tile or "overflow" to another ditch or drain tile to handle the runoff, with a little work you may want to spruceup the pond for your own enjoyment..as long as you can plese your neighbor about the run off or other concerns they have

for the cost of filling in the pond...redirecting the overflow or run off may prove much cheaper and you can still have the pond to redesign and landscape to your own liking and enjoyment...many people spned many hours sitting at the waters edge..feeding fish..or watching swallows dive and swoop over the water for a drink...or as the evening sets in watch as bats fly overhead in search of bugs that seem to hover over the pond..perhaps on occasion you find a heron wading in for a nice plum goldfish or two..i know my pond has brought many hours of calming time ...personally i think you should do what you can to save it, unless you hate it's location as much as your neighbor

re-direct the overflow...build a birm on your neighbors side, install an underground tile to drain the water away when it gets too full..i am sure there are many more options than just filling it in

of course you may also wish to fill it in..but think it over good first...many folks would love to have one

Old 04-05-09, 06:24 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi 46, Just wanted to add my thoughts. If there is water flowing out of the pond, then there is water flowing in. Whether is is a spring, ground water, or surface water, that will have to be taken care of. You might fill it in only to find the water flow onto the neighbors property unchanged or even worse than before. So landscaping and finding a better place for that water to go is a better option.

Next, changing anything may not be your decision. Depending upon where you live some EPA type of government agency may regulate what you can do. If the pond was installed illegally, you may be required to remove it to their standards at your expense. Measures such as ditching may create erosion and not be allowed.

I don't know what the property looks like, so can't suggest a whole lot, but you should know what changes may be required and who pays.

Good luck
Bud

Old 04-06-09, 06:27 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Pond

Rent an agricultural irrigation pump and piping and pump the water out (that is if you have a suitable location for the water to drain). Good luck with your project.

Old 04-06-09, 06:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
It is a shame brwneyegrl46 has not visited for almost 6 months. I've been wondering if they decided to buy the property.

Old 04-06-09, 07:33 PM
wire puller if the water will drain into a creek or river you would also need to run it thru some type of filter to keep sediment from flowing downstream, too much sediment can cause fish kills downstream and those will get you fined, also you could be responsible for dreging if enough sediment was loosed down stream. the corps of engineers has juridiction over all "navigable waters" and can be very unforgiving of siltation.

Murphy was an optimist.

Old 04-07-09, 03:17 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Pond Water

I am well aware of the need to adhere to the law of the land. My suggestion was simply how to accomplish the task. Responsibility for the consequences rests with the owner of the pond.

I believe there are also laws concerning diversion of water from its natural path due to the lay of the land. A very complicated issue.

Finding the water source is the first requirement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: