Best filter i found

Old 02-22-09, 02:09 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best filter i found

Hi everyone,

I installed a 100 gal. pond and water fall in my back yard in 2007 and put 1" gold fish in it from PetCo for about .29 each.

All was great for about 1 month, then the water was so cloudy I cound not see my fish and the pond was only 18" deep at the lowest point.

I tried all the chemicals and other stuff I read about and still cloudy, untill I tried a UV filter along with my regular pump and filter. It took a month to clear but my pond became crystal clear and stayed that way. Its been almost 2 years and the UV bulb has burned out. When I bought the light I bought the one with a bulb that was easily available from local suppliers and relatively cheap. I priced it out at $11 compared to $26 from some of the propriatory bulb types.

Hope this helps.

PS, My fish are 6" now, yeh I know , fat and happy I hope.

Old 02-22-09, 03:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
UV sterilizers are very cool. Not only will it help keep the water clear by killing algae floating in the water but it also helps control parasites, viruses, bacteria and other nasties.

About once a month take your sterilizer apart and clean the quartz glass sleeve around the light bulb. Scum builds up on the sleeve and reduces it's effectiveness. Also most bulbs need to be replaced every 6-12 months. They gradually loose power over time so even if it is still lit it might not be working well.

Old 02-23-09, 06:15 AM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Clear pond

I had a fish pond a few years ago. It was so much fun. You need to put in a few water plants to balance the water. Also I bought several goldfish and put them in my pond, the next year they were huge. They say that the fish will grow larger because of the amount of water compared to a fish tank. Good luck!! And if it is in the sun most of the day the fish will be very orange in color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: