Bird Bath questions

Old 03-29-09, 10:18 AM
Smile Bird Bath questions

Hi

I was put a bird bath in my yard. I have a tree in the front and was thinking of putting it under the tree. I live in Dallas, TX and it can get really hot during summer. I want to know which type of bird bath would be suitable for my city. I do not want the metal ones as they will heat up fast. The plastic ones are light weight. I was thinking of concrete, ceramic or terra cotta bird baths. I am looking for something simple...nothing too grand. Not sure if this is necessary but just as a FYI, my house is east facing.

Appreciate your response.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-09, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum! I don't know which is best or if there's any advantages of one over the other, but I have a concrete one (under a tree) and I've had it for 30 years. No problems with it and it's still standing!

Old 03-29-09, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Pick a bird bath that you like. The birds do not care too much about fashion or style. They want water that is shallow (about an inch), clean, and with a bottom that provides some traction so they don't slip. No matter which type you choose check it every day during the summer to see if it needs cleaning and filling.