How to make a mister

Old 04-16-09, 06:51 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make a mister

Not sure if I am in the right place, but I figured someone would have some experience with this...my 10 year old son wants to make a mister to mount to his bike for our rides. We live in Miami and by May you do not want to be out riding after about 8:30 am with the heat. I think his idea is great, but how? I imagine we can run a tube from the water bottle and mount it on the handle bars, but how do I get it to spray? Is there some sort of simple battery device we can create or buy? I appreciate any ideas! Thx-newholly

Old 04-17-09, 06:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
I do not know of a cheap and easy pump you could buy but you could: Use an empty spray bottle and have your son pump the trigger. Attach a garden sprayer tank to his bike and mount the wand on his handle bars.

A couple problems I see are:
The mister may pose a distraction causing an accident.
The mister will only provide minimal cooling and any cool air will be quickly left behind.
You will have to carry a lot of water (heavy) which will make it harder for him to keep up.

Nature has already designed the best cooling system. Drink plenty of water and the body will sweat. Riding a bike will keep air moving over his body providing a very powerfull cooling effect. Modern high tech athletic clothing made from fibers like CoolMax (and many other brand names) are almost magical at keeping you cool.

Old 04-17-09, 03:22 PM
N
How to make a mister

Thanks PD,

Yes, we thought of many of the same things and this is why we had hoped to find someone who knew something about some sort of battery operated unit. We'd even like to perfect it so that it runs off of the power you generate by pedalling. True it will require a good deal of water, but we are more interested in just trying for trying's sake.
Appreciate the thought-newholly

Old 04-20-09, 07:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
If you build something post pictures. It is always interesting to see what everyone can build. Your ideas are not crazy so have fun and turn it into a learning experience.

--
I built a "steam engine" onto one of my bikes when I was a kid. It was powered by a portable compressed air tank like you use to fill your cars' tires. If on a slight downhill, and if I push started it, the bike would run for 50 ft. Whoosh, chung, whoosh, chung until I ran out of air. Not practical but it was fun trying and I learned a lot.

Old 05-20-09, 05:41 PM
V
I am also trying to figure out the mister part. I was able to get a pump at Harbor Freight for under $10!! They have about 5 different types, even solar powered pumps. So I hooked the pump up to some drip irrigation tube and tried to cut holes, slots, crosses.. nothing seems to Mist. Any ideas? I need the mist for a Hydroponic setup.
Thanks

Old 05-26-09, 07:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Creating a fine mist takes high pressure to rip the water apart into tiny dropplets. Most water pumps and solar powered pumps cannot generate the power to create fine drops. You can get improved misting with a properly shaped nozzle but that is beyond cutting simple slits or drilling holes in tubing. If creating the water pressure is a problem you can atomize the water with air. Water at low pressure with air at high pressure can make a nice mist.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: