How Do I Fix my Cracked Fountain???

Old 04-12-10, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How Do I Fix my Cracked Fountain???

Hello,

we have a fountain and we decided to power it up for Spring yesterday. The pump worked great for being left outside, and the water seemed to hold. However, 20 minutes later the fountain was sucked dry. There are a few visible hairline cracks on the tiered parts, very thin cracks where the water must have slipped through. The fountain is made of a fiberglass material or something...here is a pic of it...

http://www.giftsunusual.com/Images-2...20Fountain.jpg

It is only 2 years old...

Does anyone know of a great product that will cure these cracks for more than just a few years?

Keep in mind that this fountain is exposed to at least 5 hours of sun each day.

Will a thin layer of concrete mix work??

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-10, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 266 Votes on 241 Posts
There is no "cure" to stop the cracking. If the fountain is cracking and leaking after two years I would just plan an inexpensive fix to keep it working as long as possible.

There is a tape used to seal gutters, roof leaks and around windows during construction and is available at most home improvement stores. It has a aluminum backing with a thick, black adhesive similar to tar. If you thoroughly clean the surface it should stick to your fountain, be waterproof and flexible to stretch and move as the fountain continues to crack.

Old 04-12-10, 12:30 PM
Thank you for your quick response Pilot Dane! There are no special mixing solutions similar to cement repair that can prevent leaks? For example, does anyone know if QUIKRETE make anything? I'm sure black or aluminum tape won't look so attractive on our venetian fountain.

I came across this product online called "Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure." Does anyone know if this works?

Thanks.

Old 04-13-10, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
I don't think a concrete repair product will stick to plastic, and they also would be ugly.

I've never heard of Capt. Tolley's stuff, but give it a try and report back how it works.

Old 04-13-10, 07:00 AM
You could try JB weld. It's gray so it should match and it should hold the water.

Old 04-14-10, 12:55 PM
Is JB Weld sold in home improvement stores? i.e., Home Depot, Lowes, Ace.

Old 04-14-10, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
You can find JB Weld in most home improvement and automotive stores. It's usually with the glues.